Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V4 release 4.0.1 (build 4023) - 16 May 2024

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Webcam .... Advice and Recommendations

Hardware/software/hints and tips/discussion/webcam links etc
Gina
Weather Station: Nothing working ATM - making one
Operating System: OS X, Linux Mint, Win7 & XP

Re: Webcam .... Advice and Recommendations

Post by Gina »

Made some progress on the box/mounting for my new webcam. I'm using a small black plastic box - 80x60x40 mm external dimensions (a couple of mm less inside). This has plenty of room for the camera and with 34mm filter (providing a weatherproof window) in the end.

I've cut a hole in the end of the box so that the filter screws tightly into the plastic and have mounted the camera in the box. The cable entry is a small slot in what will be the bottom of the box - if any wet should get in it can drain out here. The camera gives off a fair amount of heat so I don't think any extra heating will be required to prevent misting up. I currently have the unit clamped onto the window frame and will mount it (outdoors) properly later - no time ATM and too showery. I'll also take some photos of the construction (if I remember).
Gina

Sorry, no banner - weather station out of action. Hoping to be up and running with a new home-made one soon.
Hillbilly
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus
Operating System: Vista Home Premium SP2

Post by Hillbilly »

Gina wrote:I've set the scheduler to stop at 2200 (soon after dark) and on at 0400 (just before dawn) - for both file and FTP.
I'll be interested to see how you go on with the Yawcam scheduler Gina. I had file, ftp, and stream all on scheduler and suffered the dreaded black image fairly frequently. I was also using an offline image. I decided that using the scheduling with everything starting up at the same time caused a problem so I staggered the schedule, which was a great improvement. I still had the problem, but not as frequently, so ditched the offline image and now use the #isdaylight webtag to change the image at dawn and dusk. I'd intended to do that at some point so it did me a favour in bringing it to the top of the list :lol:

I now only schedule the ftp. Since I started that I have had 2 black images in about 3 weeks. I had read that a randomly generated black image had been a problem when generating large resolution images and that the latest release was supposed to fix this, which clearly it hasn't. A restart of Yawcam fixes it. As the Yawcam forum is still down I think, I haven't been able to find any updates on the problem.

Geoff, I'm very pleased that you have found a webcam and are busy setting it up and building your web page. Have fun ;). I haven't built any kind of sophisticated roof mounting or external box, but I did run up a nice blind because our cam points out of a velux which reflects the room when lights are on :oops:
Many thanks
Helen

La Locherie Weather
Gina

Post by Gina »

Hillbilly wrote:I'll be interested to see how you go on with the Yawcam scheduler Gina. I had file, ftp, and stream all on scheduler and suffered the dreaded black image fairly frequently.
I haven't had the black image problem but FTP gave up just after 6 this morning. I restarted it and it seems to have been fine since. File saving stopped and started correctly.
I was also using an offline image.
I haven't set that up yet. For a start I need to create an image - Dan's one I love, great stuff :)

I shall be experimenting - intermixed with doing other things :lol: Either using Yawcam on at the server end.
I haven't built any kind of sophisticated roof mounting or external box, but I did run up a nice blind because our cam points out of a velux which reflects the room when lights are on :oops:
I'm having that problem too while I still have the webcam inside the window - have to draw the curtains :lol:
Gina

Sorry, no banner - weather station out of action. Hoping to be up and running with a new home-made one soon.
hills
Weather Station: Fine Offset WH1091
Operating System: Raspbian Buster

Post by hills »

oops double post :bash:
Last edited by hills on Wed 19 May 2010 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hills

Post by hills »

Do you also think it would be good to keep that webcam sticky thread just for the images as it is a sticky and put all comments and questions in this thread?

Captzero, I liked your idea of having the current image displayed in the post so that you can just scroll through the thread and see all the images without having to follow links. I've changed mine to match. :)
Gina

Post by Gina »

hills wrote:Do you also think it would be good to keep that webcam sticky thread just for the images as it is a sticky and put all comments and questions in this thread?
I think so - good idea :)
Gina

hills

Post by hills »

Hey Geoff, the webcam looks great. I just had a look at 2:35am your time and it looks as if there's some light coming from over the horizon. Is that the morning sun or is there a township or city over there?

As a aside... if you put the url to your current picture in the post like this "http://www.winterman.org.uk/weather/image0.jpg[/i m g]" (except take the spaces out of "img") then your current image will always be in the post like below. That way it saves people from having to follow the link. (although I suspect you already know this and just haven't done it yet. ;) )

Super-T
Weather Station: wh-1081
Operating System: Weather Laptop - Windows 10 Pro

Post by Super-T »

Wouldn't it be a problem that most people would be on this forum in the evening, therefore black screen dumps?
hills

Post by hills »

Yeah, that's why I put a static image in too. Anyway as we're scattered all over the globe some should be online at any one time.
beteljuice
Weather Station: None !
Operating System: W10 - Threadripper 16core, etc

Post by beteljuice »

Thinking aloud .....

If you have php and the graphics library on your server you should be able, for example:

If top left pixel rgb values > 'dark' values
image = cached last good (or perhaps avi of the day ?)

else

copy latest image to cached last good
put 'too dark' text on image
use latest image (or stream)
......................Imagine, what you will KNOW tomorrow !
hills

Post by hills »

Yawcam has the feature where it will automatically put a saved picture up when the scheduler is turned off. You could just make that a saved image taken during the day. I had some problems when I had that set up, but I'm not sure what that problem was now. I think it kept saying no camera was selected the next morning. I haven't used it since.
Gina

Post by Gina »

hills wrote:Yawcam has the feature where it will automatically put a saved picture up when the scheduler is turned off. You could just make that a saved image taken during the day. I had some problems when I had that set up, but I'm not sure what that problem was now. I think it kept saying no camera was selected the next morning. I haven't used it since.
I'm expecting to try this tonight. We'll see how it all works tomorrow. I may also look into server side methods (like Beteljuice mentioned).

I've got to sort out the webcam box mounting before anything else - my temporary mounting inside the window has fallen off. No damage done but lesson learnt!
Gina

Gina

Post by Gina »

Webcam now mounted outdoors. I've changed some settings in Yawcam - resolution now at 800 x 448 and reduced the capture period to 2 mins. Increased compression too, so the image files will be smaller. I'm saving the files locally and been playing them back as a slide show. 5 mins between shots seemed too long. I've also set Yawcam to display it's default Offline image and turned scheduling on.
Gina

geoffw
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Vue
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by geoffw »

Image of the sky looks much better Gina. Are you using that polariser your picked up on Amazon? I've just moved my camera to another place (still indoors) and changed the format to widescreen. We seem to be getting there!!! :clap:
Geoff
Gina

Post by Gina »

geoffw wrote:Image of the sky looks much better Gina. Are you using that polariser your picked up on Amazon?
Yes, I have the polariser screwed into an appropriate sized hole in the end of the box - now mounted outside. The sun's come out now after a dreary overcast day and lighting the trees and grass nicely. The filter has certainly improved the sky.
webcamm.jpeg
I've just moved my camera to another place (still indoors) and changed the format to widescreen. We seem to be getting there!!! :clap:
That's good Geoff :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gina