Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4017) - 17 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Input file Cumulus software

For discussion of DIY weather equipment - sensors, accessories, improvements to existing kit etc
ibelingsjhi
Weather Station: Home build
Operating System: WinXP SP3

Input file Cumulus software

Post by ibelingsjhi »

Dear Steve,

As new member in your forum I will ask for help.

Many years ago I have build my own weather instruments and data acquisition system http://www.meteotoren.nl (I am sorry its in Dutch).

Now I am upgrading the hole system and have build a micro processor data acquisition system around de BASIC Tiger from Wilke Technology.
For the instruments I have received for free some additional instruments from Thies (Winddirection and speed, http://www.thiesclima.com/combined_wind ... assic.html) and a Kipp solar CM11, http://www.kippzonen.com.
All the other instruments I am building myself including the data acquisition system.

For the display side I think about the nice looking Cumulus software.
Searching on the website to the specific file input format for Cumulus I not shure if the realtime.txt represents the input format of the Cumulus software.
Do you have a description of the input files?

Is there a reason for not using field separators between the data?
I want to store all the data in a MySQL data base or importing it in Excell and the separators making it easyer.

Is there a specific reason that the time format is dd/mm/yyyy instead of yyyy/mm/dd?
If you want to sort the information or make a query is easyer I think.

Could I find / get somewhere the example files with dummy data?

Thank you for the help,
André
daj
Weather Station: WH1081
Operating System: Pi & MX

Re: Input file Cumulus software

Post by daj »

Andre

Does your question relate to Cumulus version 1 (the current version) or Cumulus 2 (an alpha release future product)? You have posted in the Cumulus 2 forum, which is confusing me!

All current file formats are here

http://wiki.sandaysoft.com/a/Category:Log_Files

there is a PHP example of importing data into MySQL here...http://wiki.sandaysoft.com/a/ImportCumulusFile
David
kippfordweather.uk
Cumulus MX & Raspberry Pi
ibelingsjhi

Post by ibelingsjhi »

David, I am sorry that my question is confusing you.
1 -- This is the first time on a BB and must find the way and how its working.
2 -- I hope that there is no difference in Input format for Cumulus 1 or 2.
3 -- The category is "Log files" and for me that are Output files from the Cumulus application, perhaps I am wrong.
4 -- I am building a microprocessor system and I am looking for the data format which I sent to Cumulus.
5 -- So I did not understand your answer correct and missing the date / time reply.

Thank you again, André

daj wrote:Andre

Does your question relate to Cumulus version 1 (the current version) or Cumulus 2 (an alpha release future product)? You have posted in the Cumulus 2 forum, which is confusing me!

All current file formats are here

http://wiki.sandaysoft.com/a/Category:Log_Files

there is a PHP example of importing data into MySQL here...http://wiki.sandaysoft.com/a/ImportCumulusFile
daj

Post by daj »

André,

Firstly, welcome to the forum. :D

I will move your post out of the Cumulus 2 area -- C2 is in the very early stages of development by Steve. I'll put the post in the HomeBuilt section as it doesn't related to any specific version of Cumulus.

I'm not entirely clear what you are looking for -- you mention the "file input formats" -- as far as I know Cumulus does not have input files, it reads directly from the devices. I am guessing you want Cumulus to use your own "homebuilt" device. Steve will be have more information as he is the developer of Cumulus.
David
kippfordweather.uk
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

daj wrote:as far as I know Cumulus does not have input files, it reads directly from the devices.
Yes, that's correct. I think there is an existing enhancement request for a general way of allowing Cumulus to read data from a file. I have no idea if/when I'll be able to do this.
Steve
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

ibelingsjhi wrote:Is there a reason for not using field separators between the data?
I want to store all the data in a MySQL data base or importing it in Excell and the separators making it easyer.
I don't understand this question - the log files do have separators, they use the system's configured separator (e.g. a comma on UK systems).
Is there a specific reason that the time format is dd/mm/yyyy instead of yyyy/mm/dd?
Yes. I initially wrote Cumulus just for myself and chose a format that suited me. Cumulus has come a long way since then!
Steve
ibelingsjhi

Post by ibelingsjhi »

Thank you Steve,

My data acquisition system put the data via Ethernet to the internet.
Now the output over internet came in a format like:
GMT : 2010:10:01:05:24:08#AD01: 00.009#AD02: 00.000#...#AD32: 00.004#DI01: 09H#DI02: 0AH#DI03: 0BH#DI04: 00H##
AD01 -- Analog channel 01 and so on
DI01 -- Digital input byte and so on

The # can be changed in | or ; or leave it away; it flexible.

I have now a small test program in Java that capture the data from a fixed IP and Port address and put it in an ASCII file.
Because I like to use a program like Cumulus I am looking for a connection possibility to the program.
In stead of a RS-232 or USB connection I am thinking thus of a IP connection.

Then there are possibility's of presentation the data on a local PC, absorb it on an external webser, put it in a MySQL database and present it with your website solution or put it in a local webserver and so on.

So this is the second start of my devellopment.
André

steve wrote:
daj wrote:as far as I know Cumulus does not have input files, it reads directly from the devices.
Yes, that's correct. I think there is an existing enhancement request for a general way of allowing Cumulus to read data from a file. I have no idea if/when I'll be able to do this.
laulau
Weather Station: WeatherDuino Pro2
Operating System: Win 7

Post by laulau »

Cumulus has the possibility to read an EasyWeather File!

I've found that in Cumulus help.
Normally, you don't need to set this. If using the Easyweather.dat method (not recommended), set this to the location of the EasyWeather.dat file (you can click the little folder icon and browse for the file).
It' perhaps a solution to read data from your station if you can write your datas in this format :idea:

But i'm not sure that this possibility will be kept in the future.
Laurent

daj

Post by daj »

laulau wrote:Cumulus has the possibility to read an EasyWeather File!
Technically, yes, but it is not the preferred method and was only left in for backward compatibility
David
kippfordweather.uk
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

It would work, I guess...
Steve
Charlie
Weather Station: 1wire-Cumulus & Fine Offset
Operating System: Windows 7

Post by Charlie »

steve wrote:It would work, I guess...
Would there be any issue with an application writing data to a file (in Easyweather format) and Cumulus reading it at almost the same time? I'm thinking about sharing violations.
Running a program that gathers data, then stopping it, then running Cumulus to display and post, then stopping it to gather new data doesn't seem very practical...
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

Charlie wrote:Would there be any issue with an application writing data to a file (in Easyweather format) and Cumulus reading it at almost the same time? I'm thinking about sharing violations.
Cumulus opens the file in read-only mode. It works with Easyweather writing to the file; it would have been a useless facility otherwise.
Steve