Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

X-Sealant GEL

For discussion of DIY weather equipment - sensors, accessories, improvements to existing kit etc
wd40
Weather Station: WS2080
Operating System: W7

X-Sealant GEL

Post by wd40 »

Anybody ran across this stuff?

http://www.xmultiple.com/xwebsite-sealant-GELtube.htm

I am extending my fine offset anemometer and need to seal the cable connector.

I have an outside telephone connection installed by the telephone company and the plug on it is coated with a very clear, soft gel that kind of pulls apart like pizza cheese and I wonder if this isn't the product they use.

Randy
Gina
Weather Station: Nothing working ATM - making one
Operating System: OS X, Linux Mint, Win7 & XP

Re: X-Sealant GEL

Post by Gina »

Looks like it's pretty new. Certainly looks like just what we want for protecting connectors. But I think the clear protection your telephone company used is a silicone sealant - the new stuff seems more like a grease.
Gina

Sorry, no banner - weather station out of action. Hoping to be up and running with a new home-made one soon.
wd40

Post by wd40 »

Gina wrote: . . . I think the clear protection your telephone company used is a silicone sealant - the new stuff seems more like a grease.
Gina, I would have thought the silicone sealant would have interfered with the connection. Do you fill the connector then plug it in?

I will call the X-sealant company and ask about the product.

Randy
Gina

Post by Gina »

wd40 wrote:Gina, I would have thought the silicone sealant would have interfered with the connection. Do you fill the connector then plug it in?
Yes, I think it would. You'd need to make the connection first then apply it over the outside.
I will call the X-sealant company and ask about the product.
Good plan :) It's certainly a far better solution than silicone sealant. It lubricates as well as keeping the wet out - rather like silicone grease but better.
Gina

Sorry, no banner - weather station out of action. Hoping to be up and running with a new home-made one soon.
beteljuice
Weather Station: None !
Operating System: W10 - Threadripper 16core, etc

Post by beteljuice »

What is the recommended best practices for applying the Gel?

Answer: The 3oz tube was designed to make the application of the gel easy for the user. The gel is applied directly from the tube into the female connector. A small drop inserted on the contact pins inside the female is all that is required. The male plug is then inserted into the connector.
It seems to be for internal rather than external use, but it is resistant to salt air / water etc. So I suppose that as long as your unit / joint is reasonable weather protected should be fine.

... but it's shelf life is 2 years (about the dieing time of a Watson :? ) when it will need another application.

http://www.xmultiple.com/Sealant/X-Seal ... 7-2008.pdf
......................Imagine, what you will KNOW tomorrow !
wd40

Post by wd40 »

I called today and spoke with one of their sales persons. He said there biggest customers are the military, cable and satellite tv installers and alternative energy companies like windmills. He thought it should last two years but should be considered a preventive maintenance practice. They do sell it online using paypal. With shipping here in the US, it is $18.

here in the US, there is an automotive product that you use on spark plug boots. I wonder if this is the same thing. I will investigate. I have some of this in my tool box.

I have not looked at the MSD sheets so I don't know of any restrictive uses.

Gina I am still guessing this is stuff the telephone company used because it is in the connection not on the connection.

Randy
Super-T
Weather Station: wh-1081
Operating System: Weather Laptop - Windows 10 Pro

Post by Super-T »

I just use good old Vaseline. A bit messy but does the trick and easily removed.
For waterproofing connectors of course :-)
Gina

Post by Gina »

I use silicone grease.
Gina

wd40

Post by wd40 »

After much searching, what I am looking for is a ANTI-CORROSION GEL which is different from dielectric grease.

Super Lube Anti-Corrosion And Connector gel is one such product. It is often found at a place that sells trailer hitches and stuff.