Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

WeatherLinkIP Data Logger

Discussion specific to Davis weather stations
gemini06720
Weather Station: No weather station
Operating System: No operating system

WeatherLinkIP Data Logger

Post by gemini06720 »

I recently had to replace an 'almost-one-year-old' WeatherLinkIP adaptor (data logger) - an exchange (new adaptor) was provided by Davis Instruments. :)

As I was testing a new computer I recently bought, for some unknown reasons, I entered the IP address to the WeatherLinkIP adaptor.

To my astonishment, I noticed a new option - I really cannot remember that option being there... :o
Screenshot - 15_02_2011 , 04_55_52.jpg
On the right side of the setup screen there is that "Upload to weatherlink.com" option (with a check mark, by default). :shock:

As some of you might be aware, owners of a WeatherLinkIP adaptor have been 'forced' by Davis Instruments (by design of the adaptor) to upload the data collected from their weather station to the WeatherLink web site.

If a software such as Cumulus wanted to get its weather data for a WeatherLinkIP adaptor, it had to be programmed with loops and delays to circumvent the priority (and only function) of the adaptor, to upload to the WeatherLink web site!

I have not yet tested the results of deactivating the option. But, if the "Upload to weatherlink.com" option really does what it says, then, that is great news for Steve and the owners of a WeatherLinkIP adaptor - it would mean that Cumulus does not have to 'fight' anymore for its connection time. :twisted:

Has anyone else noticed that new option?
prodata
Weather Station: VP2
Operating System: Windows - all flavours

Re: WeatherLinkIP Data Logger

Post by prodata »

gemini06720 wrote:To my astonishment, I noticed a new option - I really cannot remember that option being there... :o
On the right side of the setup screen there is that "Upload to weatherlink.com" option (with a check mark, by default). :shock:
...Has anyone else noticed that new option?
This web interface and wl.com option has always been there. If all you want is a WL logger with an Ethernet interface (ie and no uploads to wl.com) isn't it easier just to use a standard serial logger and a relatively inexpensive device server - say something like:

http://www.audon.co.uk/enet232.html

(or the equivalent USB combination)? This sort of combination usually works perfectly well.
John Dann
Prodata Weather Systems
Littleport, East Cambs, UK
http://www.weatherstations.co.uk
gemini06720
Weather Station: No weather station
Operating System: No operating system

Post by gemini06720 »

I usually do not reply to people not signing their messages - but I will make an exception for your message.
prodata wrote:This web interface and wl.com option has always been there.
I am not too sure of your statement.

If, as you indicated, the "Upload to weatherlink.com" option has always been part of the settings for the WeatherLinkIP adaptor, than please explain why Steve and Brian Hamilton were forced to modified their weather software in order to accommodate 'time shared' schedules to extract the data from the WeatherLinkIP adaptor! :evil:
prodata wrote:If all you want is a WL logger with an Ethernet interface (ie and no uploads to wl.com) isn't it easier just to use a standard serial logger and a relatively inexpensive device server...
I guess you completely missed the point/purpose of my message! :?

I have three types of adaptors - two of them (the serial and the USB) have been reliably in used for many years. But, as I indicated in another message posted in these forum, the WeatherLinkIP adaptor has not proven to be as reliable, not just to me but other users, as reported in other weather forums.

I bought the WeatherLinkIP adaptor for test purposes and to find out if I could simply send the data from my weather station onto the Internet and be able to use a software, anywhere I wanted, to retrieve the data. What I quickly realised after installing the adaptor into one of my station receiver was that, by design, the WeatherLinkIP adaptor was uploading the data to the WeatherLink web site and I had no control over it. Had the option to "Upload to weatherlink.com" been in the setting of the adaptor, I certainly would not have needed to send an e-mail message to Davis Instruments technical support requesting a mean to deactivate the automatic built-in uploads!

So, no, I am not looking for another type of adaptor and if I was, I would primarily be looking within North America (had you taken the time to find out where I was writing from ... if my canadian flag was not enough of an indicator) - I would still need to purchase a WeatherLink before being able to use the suggested 'eNET-232 Ethernet to Serial/USB Converter'... :roll:
prodata
Weather Station: VP2
Operating System: Windows - all flavours

Post by prodata »

gemini06720 wrote:I usually do not reply to people not signing their messages - but I will make an exception for your message.
Apologies - someone asked me to look in here quickly a couple of weeks back to comment on something and I hadn't got around to niceties like sigs - but there's one there now! I'm also conscious that this is a Cumulus forum and not primarily a hardware forum so let me just respond in brief:
If, as you indicated, the "Upload to weatherlink.com" option has always been part of the settings for the WeatherLinkIP adaptor, than please explain why Steve and Brian Hamilton were forced to modified their weather software in order to accommodate 'time shared' schedules to extract the data from the WeatherLinkIP adaptor!
Well, I've just checked back quickly here and spotted an email from someone at Davis from over two years ago (Jan 2008) that mentions the 6555 web interface, so while I can't be sure it was exposed in v1.00 of the firmware, I suspect that it was - it's certainly been there as long as I can remember. But I agree that its presence is not highlighted in the public WLIP documentation.
I guess you completely missed the point/purpose of my message!
Well, my apologies if I did - perhaps I should have read between the lines more!
the WeatherLinkIP adaptor has not proven to be as reliable, not just to me but other users, as reported in other weather forums.
Hmm, there were some early firmware problems but once v1.04 was reached, the product has been fairly stable AFAIK - I've certainly not had many support calls on it. It's also the case that the console + WLIP will not run reliably on internal batteries. But other than these two hardware issues, I think that most forum posts are to do with software that is not written to be compatible with the WLIP. But the Davis WLIP FAQ does clearly say:

Will WeatherLinkIP work with other weather software programs?
No, at this time only WeatherLink 5.8 can communicate with WeatherLinkIP.

So caveat emptor. This being the case, the only other likely reason that someone might choose the WLIP is because it's got an Ethernet interface and can therefore talk to a PC across a LAN - quite a number of users do buy the WLIP specifically for this feature. But as I suggested, another (and cheaper) way of doing this is by 6510SER+device server.
...I would primarily be looking within North America
I'm sure you would and your origin was obvious. The link I gave was just - you know - an example...?
John Dann
Prodata Weather Systems
Littleport, East Cambs, UK
http://www.weatherstations.co.uk