Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

High readings when station loses communication with sensor

Doc D

Re: High readings when station loses communication with sensor

Post by Doc D »

Hi Steve,

I've installed the new version and have had some wacky readings (rainfall, temp, pressure...) since then, but I certainly can't rule out the possibility that something in my set-up is creating the aberrant readings (which are then being faithfully recorded by Cumulus). I'll try re-jigging a few things and then see what happens before wasting any more of your valuable time right now.
cilldara

Post by cilldara »

Sorry to be so slow getting back to you, I've installed both updates and am collecting data, I've already had some strange readings but I'll leave it run for a while more with the latest update before I post up another bug report. I'm starting to wonder if the fault lies with the USB/serial convertor, I've seen one or two similar errors showing up in Heavy Weather.

I'm hoping to get my hands on a secondhand PC to use 24/7 as a weather server, maybe that might make a difference, I'm not sure if it (Dell Optiplex GX620) has a serial port maybe that might cure the problem.

John
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

I was going to ask if you were using a serial/usb connector, I've read that some of these can cause problems. I'm not saying it isn't Cumulus's fault; it may be that it drives the serial port in such a way that causes problems...

Steve
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

There's a bug in build 670 which affects anyone using inches Hg for pressure. My checks for bad data are using mb/hPa values, so everything is rejected if you use inHg. I thought I had all the checks allowing for units sorted out, but that one's slipped through.

Steve
cilldara

Post by cilldara »

Well, I collected my "weather PC" and have it installed in the attic with the WS2300 connected via serial for the last few hours. No strange readings yet even though I've had a connection dropout (more on that below), this time when the connection dropped ( there seems to be two ways the 2300 itself deals with this, sometimes the display shows OFL and others just -) the Cumulus display showed the last good reading, is that the way you wanted Steve?

When I started the fresh install of Cumulus on the weather PC (use data-logger was ticked by default) Cumulus downloaded the historic data from the station, but seemed to become a little confused because the monthly total reported from the station was higher than it seemed to expect, it was adding the difference into this hours total. I decided at that stage to make another clean install this time unticking use data-logger, and all seems to be working as expected.

I have the PC uploading to http://weather.kilmoneynet.com/ if anyone's interested.

John

PS. The WS2300 definitely doesn't like DECT phones, the attic where I put the weather PC (to keep it clear of the kids) also is home to my networking and VOIP gear including a DECT base station, it lost contact within 20 minutes and didn't reconnect till I pulled the power on the DECT setup.
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

cilldara wrote: the Cumulus display showed the last good reading, is that the way you wanted Steve?
I wouldn't exactly say it was the way I wanted, but yes, it's the way Cumulus works.

Steve
cilldara

Post by cilldara »

Just a very quick update, everything has been running just fine since I've had the station connected via serial to my "new" old PC.

Probably worth my time sorting out a proper radiation shield for the temp sensor and a better site for the anemometer now.

It looks pretty certain the intermittent spikes were caused by the USB/serial converter.

John
Doc D

Post by Doc D »

Congratulations on the serial discovery. This encourages me to try adding a serial PCI card in case the USB is also manufacturing my wacky data...
Doc D

Post by Doc D »

An update, for archival posterity:

I installed a serial PCI-e x1 card (curse these modern motherboards...!) and connected via that. Since then (> 48 hours), no erroneous readings on any front. The source of the problem seems to have been resolved - and my sincere apologies for having raised a non-problem!

Now I just need to pluck up courage to tackle my defective wind sensor...
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

No problem. It does appear from Google that the majority of problems people have with these stations are where they are using a USB convertor. I think it's because LaCrosse seem to have their own interpretation of the RS232 spec.

Steve