Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

APRS / CWOP

Discussion specific to Fine Offset and similar rebadged weather stations
kf5ept
Weather Station: Ambient Weather WS-2080
Operating System: Windows Vista

APRS / CWOP

Post by kf5ept »

I was wondering who all in this Forum uses the APRS / CWOP program on the Cumulus program. I am a HAM operator and was wondering if it’s worth the setup and how many of yall like the system.

Thanks!
David
David
KF5EPT

VE1TRB
Weather Station: weatherwise WS1080
Operating System: Win XP

Re: APRS / CWOP

Post by VE1TRB »

I was thinking the same thing myself. A bit too early for me to start brodcasting in APRS just yet. I just got my wx stn last week and just getting the local stuff first. I know there are some wx station reporting on APRS here but I tyhink the closest one is like about 50 or so kms away so I suspect it would be a good idea. It would definitely be a good thing during weather events to brodcast info for tracking purposes at the area EMO.
Let us know if you decide to go live or not.
kf5ept

Post by kf5ept »

I do plan on going live. I just need to figure out what all I need to do and where to sign up with CWOP. I have been looking on there website and trying to figure out stuff but everything I have been finding is leading me to think that I am not going to be able to do it with my WS unless I just am being retarted right now and just making it harder on myself b.c I want this done right now... lol :bash:
David
KF5EPT

tobyspond
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro2
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by tobyspond »

David,

I send my data data to CWOP. Instructions on how to begin can be found here: http://www.wxqa.com/SIGN-UP.html.

The setup in Cumulus is straightforward. Go to the configuration menu and select internet. You will need your station id and password.

Kerry
kf5ept

Post by kf5ept »

Thanks!

I can not figure out how to join CWOP... I did see that if I have my own Amateur Radio Operators call sign I just use that but I dont have a password. How do I join CWOP? That is my hardest thing for me to figure out is how to join.
David
KF5EPT

b.e.wilson
Weather Station: Davis Vantage VUE

Post by b.e.wilson »

Put your callsign in as the username, no password, and use the default settings, and you'll be up on CWOP. That is not the preferred method, but it works.

To do it right you send an email to one of two guys, and they will help you get set up (using the APRS input servers, not the CWOP servers), with the proper station altitude in the database (http://www.wxqa.com/SIGN-UP.html).

The reason I use CWOP is it's the best way to get your data into the national weather databases (mesonet).
kf5ept

Post by kf5ept »

Thanks!
David
KF5EPT

pa3eia
Weather Station: WS4100 (WH1081)
Operating System: Windows 7

Post by pa3eia »

I'm also going live on APRS/CWOP.

73's Ton
kf5ept

Post by kf5ept »

Bruce I guess I will have to get with the guys with CWOP. Just entering in my call sign and with no password and leaving else the same I still can't get my stuff to broadcast. Any advise?
David
KF5EPT

b.e.wilson

Post by b.e.wilson »

I don't see your data either, on aprs.fi (the site I like best for realtime data).

Here are my settings:

Enabled: checked
ID: callsign
password: -1
server: cwop.aprs.net
port: 14580
Interval: 9 (minites)
ScottVan
Weather Station: F/O
Operating System: Win 10

Post by ScottVan »

I'm on.

http://aprs.fi/weather/a/DW7896

You are right - there are two chaps that "admin" the sign ups and they update the system every week. They are sticklers for correct GPS coords as they challenged me (rightfully so) to correct mine. Was off about a mile or so from my house. You'll get a real password after you pass their muster.

Weather data a little whacky as I'm setting up the station. I just completed my wx station / scanner / 2 meter antenna farm today. It's still on the ground on its test stand undergoing water resistance testing (aka ran out of time today to install on the house). Testing the 2 meter antenna with a 5 watt APRS station while the antenna was next to the entire wx station, transmitter and all. No issues or spikes. Transmitter will be in a new fan aspirated weather shield on the shady side of the house with a 15 meter extension cable up to mast.
IMG_0151.jpg
IMG_0152.jpg
IMG_0153.jpg
http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/fin ... ct=WEATHER
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kf5ept

Post by kf5ept »

Very cool set up!
David
KF5EPT

VE1TRB
Weather Station: weatherwise WS1080
Operating System: Win XP

Post by VE1TRB »

Nice looking setup with the 2 meter antenna and wx stn.

As for CWOPS, is this for everywhere or is it just for the US or do I have to find a Canadian server/system or is there even a Canadian server?
b.e.wilson

Post by b.e.wilson »

I'm trying to figure out why the 2m radio is there. From your raw packets it looks like you're using Cumulus on your computer to send the data to the server via the internet, bypassing the radio.
ScottVan
Weather Station: F/O
Operating System: Win 10

Post by ScottVan »

b.e.wilson wrote:I'm trying to figure out why the 2m radio is there. From your raw packets it looks like you're using Cumulus on your computer to send the data to the server via the internet, bypassing the radio.
Bruce,

You're exactly right. Until I'm back on the air, I'll post up through the network. Right now the antenna is not up on the roof. We expect 5 or 6 days of good weather so I'll be on the air soon.

I'm also building out a mobile station so as soon as I get that running, I'll have two stations reporting in.