Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4017) - 17 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Strange behaviour after update to build 1016

Please discuss beta versions of Cumulus 1 here. Note: There are currently no beta versions of Cumulus 1.
phklm
Weather Station: Davis VP2
Operating System: Win 7

Strange behaviour after update to build 1016

Post by phklm »

I have noticed that after installing 1.9.2 build 1016, we get strange readings in a morning. From around 0715 to 0930 the graphs tend to just 'flat line' on the trend page. This behaviour seems to happen every morning at the same time - on Monday I also noticed the rain rate was showing as -0.2mm during this time.

http://weather.roydshall.org/trends.htm

We are using a Davis VP2. We didn't seem to have this on the previous version (Non-beta).

Any ideas?

Adam
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: Strange behaviour after update to build 1016

Post by steve »

Please zip up the diags folder and attach it.

What version were you using previously?
Steve
phklm

Post by phklm »

Thanks Steve.

It was the current version of 1.9.1 (June 5th, can't remember the build no..92x?).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

It looks like you have a communication problem between the ISS and the console. The inside temperature, humidity and pressure figures were updating OK, and there are no errors indicated in the diags log; only the remote data has flatlined. The fact that this happens every morning at the same time, and a restart of Cumulus is not involved, would tend to confirm this.
Steve
phklm

Post by phklm »

Thanks Steve.
I have no idea what could be causing a communications issue at that time everyday - I will check that out though.
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

It could be that your ISS battery needs replacing. Normally these would last several years, as they are only a backup for when you don't get enough sun to charge up the capacitor enough to last all night. However, the capacitors are notorious for failing; I've replaced mine twice in four years. If you look closely at the capacitor you should be able to see signs of leakage, if the capacitor has failed.

If you can look at the console while the data has flat-lined, I'd expect it to be showing dashes for the outdoor sensors.
Steve
phklm

Post by phklm »

Thanks Steve for your advice, it is much appreciated. I have missed the opportunity to look at the console this morning while it was flat lining, so hopefully I will get a chance again tomorrow.

I guess what you are saying fits with the lengthening dark nights at the moment, and hence why it has only just started. I have noticed this morning that Cumulus says TX-1 battery is Low, would this be the same battery you refer too?

I am going to be popular if I need to get access to the ISS - it is in a difficult to access location!
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

phklm wrote:I have noticed this morning that Cumulus says TX-1 battery is Low, would this be the same battery you refer too?
Yes, that's it, it's the 3v Lithium CR123 battery in the ISS. That pretty much confirms the reason for the flat lines. How old is the battery? You need to check the capacitor in the ISS to make sure it hasn't failed, as otherwise the replacement battery isn't going to last long.
Steve
phklm

Post by phklm »

Thanks again for the advice.
I am not sure how old the battery is, it has been here longer than me, but an educated guess would probably be around 3 or 4 years so all the pieces seem to fit into place to explain why this is happening.