Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V4 release 4.0.1 (build 4023) - 16 May 2024

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

WMR88 From Amazon appears to be a grey import.

Discussion specific to Oregon Scientific weather stations
Flying Eye
Weather Station: WH1081
Operating System: XpPro32SP3 & 7Home64SP1

Re: WMR88 From Amazon appears to be a grey import.

Post by Flying Eye »

If only! :roll:
Cheers,
Ian
Flying Eye

Post by Flying Eye »

Small update,

Mailed Amazon, explained that they appear to have strayed outside the law, and explained I can't use it and that it's not fit for purpose and all that.

When asked for a short description I just said "Legal Problem" - because I suspect that's what they have.

Six hours later they mailed me back to say they will refund the "next day by 13:00Hrs express delivery" as it was 19 hours later than it should have been, then asked if they had solved my problem. :o

I really had not anticipated a reply like that one. :|

Maybe they don't have any "cut and paste" for the rest of it. :?
Cheers,
Ian
RayProudfoot
Weather Station: Davis VP2 with Daytime FARS
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Post by RayProudfoot »

An encouraging reply. They score well in Which? customer service so rest assured things will be resolved very soon.
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

Flying Eye

Post by Flying Eye »

RayProudfoot wrote:An encouraging reply. They score well in Which? customer service so rest assured things will be resolved very soon.
Maybe I missed something here, but their resolution to them illegally supplying the problem kit, is apparently to ignore that bit and refund the shipping charge? I honestly don't get it. :?

Admittedly I've never been in quite this position before, but it really does not seem to address the problem, it seems to avoid the issue by ignoring the main body of the complaint.

I e-mailed them to query that and said that it did not solve the problem (since that was the question they asked), and overnight they confirmed that this is their intended solution.

I'd admit to being somewhat baffled by this outcome. I'm not entirely thrilled by it either, I have the feeling I'd like them to do a bit more, like planning to organise a delivery of goods which are legal or something roughly along those lines. :?

Maybe I am inadvertently being unreasonable here? If so then I apologise, of course, however it just does not feel right somehow. :?
Cheers,
Ian
RayProudfoot
Weather Station: Davis VP2 with Daytime FARS

Post by RayProudfoot »

Ian,

Apologies. It was late and I misread their reply. Refunding part of the delivery charge does not address the problem as you quite rightly say.

Another message is required stating you will not accept the part refund as the solution and you require a returns number so it can be returned to them for a full refund.

You might also consider adding a customer comment questioning the legality of selling this unit without a UK plug.
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

a call to your local trading standards folk on Monday may be in order. But if you want out of the whole deal then as others have said you are entitled to full refund under the distance selling law anyway.
Flying Eye

Post by Flying Eye »

mcrossley wrote:a call to your local trading standards folk on Monday may be in order. But if you want out of the whole deal then as others have said you are entitled to full refund under the distance selling law anyway.
I'm already going down that route as and when I can get amazon to take that concept seriously - I have a plan that I have fairly good reason to expect will work. ;)

I've posted a "questioning" review as suggested, whether or not they let it see the light of day is of course yet to be seen, these things can often take anything up to 48 hours or so to show up.

I also wrote to Oregon Scientific UK asking, among other things, if I could buy a spare power supply or two, we shall see how that idea pans out too. I mean, if you can't buy an official spare, then can it still be a wise purchase in any case?

It may be that I am just having a narrow escape here, and can't really know it for certain yet. :?

EDIT, and unexpected update: the review is there to be seen! http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00480MSYE
Cheers,
Ian
Flying Eye

Post by Flying Eye »

Packed, labelled, barcoded and awaiting a date with their courier tomorrow. I think that'll do Doctor! :lol:

It's certainly looking the best it has looked since it arrived.
Cheers,
Ian
AllyCat
Weather Station: Fine Offset 1080/1 & 3080

Post by AllyCat »

Hi Ian,

Ah, I see you've made your decision whilst I've been typing, but I'll post my thoughts anyway.

I suspect that Amazon don't actually read the reviews (except perhaps the first from each reviewer) so I wouldn't expect any "result" from that avenue. Personally, I intentionally purchased a "gret import" GPS from Amazon because it came with free software not included with the "official" UK product, but there were no issues of mains/safety there.

Basically, I think Amazon are just "box shifters" so your remedy could be to return the product under the distance selling regulations, for which you do not even need to specify a reason. However, in this cae you may be responsible for return postage so rejecting it as "not fit for purpose" may be the better option.

If you want to try for "third time lucky" you may be able to get a Fine Offset 3080 from Signatrol for less than £100 (either from their website or their presence on eBay). From several post on this forum, Signatrol appear to be a reputable, small company (i.e. one with which you can have sensible communications). However, I do have some reservations about the 3080. It has the bonuses of Solar data and wireless timeclock setting, but the dubious FO Quality Control and IMHO the UV and battery recharging are a "complete waste of space". Also I haven't worked out where on earth you are supposed to mount the transmitter with the solar sensor permanently attached to the temp-humidity module. :?

Cheers, Alan.
Flying Eye

Post by Flying Eye »

Hi Alan,

Yes, I had to put it out of my misery Doctor, it was for the best you know! :lol:

They don't read e-mail you send them, I'm not counting on them reading reviews, apart for maybe censoring ones like mine. The result is already there, now it's crystal clear to any potential buyer that these are at present not so good if you live in the UK and want to use it there.

If you want to buy one to take to Europe and use it there, then it's probably as good a bet as any. As you say at least they can get the box shifted on time.... no wait.... or within 19 hours of that any way. :P

And, if you really do want a grey import it's clearly a seller of choice. I can completely understand you buying what you did and how you did, no electrical risk and no stitch up on price either.

The Distance Selling regs was my weapon of choice and "not fit" was the main thrust of applying it, sort of "both barrels" really. :lol:

No, I don't think a third time would be entirely sensible right now, unless some one made me an offer I truly could not refuse, but that's not terribly likely I suspect. 3 months of this has been more than adequate.

I've learned a lot, rather too much in fact, and for now I simply plan to profit from the experience gained at least and probably at best. ;)

I'll keep looking from time to time, and I'll keep an eye on the forum of course because every one has been great to encounter. :clap:
Cheers,
Ian
beeman
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Vue
Operating System: Raspbian

Post by beeman »

maybe Amazon have read the recent EU directive that the UK must adopt the 2 pin Europlug by 2018.

only joking - I think :lol:
Flying Eye

Post by Flying Eye »

beeman wrote:maybe Amazon have read the recent EU directive that the UK must adopt the 2 pin Europlug by 2018.
only joking - I think :lol:
Now THAT is funny! :lol:

Have you considered the really perverse thing in all this, technically you probably COULD use it here, but only in the bathroom; now what would that do for your humidity readings? However it would also automatically void the warranty with regard to how you are supposed to treat the main unit and it's power supply according to the instructions in its manual. :roll:
Cheers,
Ian
Flying Eye

Post by Flying Eye »

mcrossley wrote:a call to your local trading standards folk on Monday may be in order. But if you want out of the whole deal then as others have said you are entitled to full refund under the distance selling law anyway.
You were not wrong Mark,

I contacted Consumer Direct today and they elected to take a log of the situation and issue me an incident reference number. They then said they were immediately forwarding the matter to trading standards. They said I had done all they could suggest. Also the parcel is now with couriers, on it's way back to Amazon.

After what must by now be ten or twenty emails and half a dozen or more phone calls Amazon have at last sort of woken up to the situation they are in, and say they are making moves to stop it happening again.

Oregon Scientific Customer Services are making noises about my enquiry to buy a spare power supply or two (thought it sensible to check on this before considering getting in too deep), but they have yet to say how much, what number and where I might apply it all on their web site, I think they have grasped the gist of the idea, but in a day or so I'll probably find out for sure. I'm mostly checking in case their station proves too hard to resist, as from what little I saw of it, it did look pretty fair to be honest, and had it worked I think I might have quite liked it.

Oh well, we shall see.
Cheers,
Ian