Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Sunshine Recorder

For discussion of DIY weather equipment - sensors, accessories, improvements to existing kit etc
yv1hx
Weather Station: No station yet ...
Operating System: Win XP Professional

Re: Sunshine Recorder

Post by yv1hx »

A great success!! :clap: :clap: :clap:
Marco
Holger
Weather Station: Davis VP2
Operating System: Windows XP

Post by Holger »

Brilliant result - well done Alan & Ole!!! :clap:
Has anyone from MO commented on the trial yet?
I am as pleased as punch with my recorder and can only recommend it!
Holger
PaulMy
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Plus 24-Hour FARS
Operating System: Windows8 and Windows10

Post by PaulMy »

Very impressive comparison. Alan and Ole, you've done a wonderful job with your ideas and must feel very satisfied to have those results from an official source. I am very happy with the data I am seeing from my B-L installation, and so surprised with the number of days and hours of sunshine we have had this summer.
Paul
Davis Vantage Pro2+
C1 www.komokaweather.com/komokaweather-ca
MX www.komokaweather.com/cumulusmx/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX www.komokaweather.com/cumulusmxwll/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX www. komokaweather.com/cumulusmx4/index.htm

apenwith
Weather Station: w8681 BlakeLarsen Sun Recorder
Operating System: Windows 7 SP1

Post by apenwith »

Hi all

Looking at the graphs posted earlier there are some differences at an hourly level between the MO data and ours.

These could, in part, be explained by the methods used by each device for calculating the sun ON situation. The B-L recorder checks for sunshine every second whereas the MO system uses a method that checks the average radiation of 30 readings at 2 second intervals. This means that if the sun is shown to be just above the threshold for a period followed by low radiation readings the average could decide that the sun was OFF for that minute whereas the B-L recorder would have logged the ON period. Similarly a period of high radiation could tip the MO average to an ON minute although the sun may have been visible for a short time only.

Obviously this effect would be more pronounced with fast moving fairly small clouds so we would expect any difference to be greater on days with rather less sunshine recorded.

It could be said that we are producing figures which are more accurate than the official data - as we have said before - we are comparable to the man in his deck chair with a stopwatch who just knows if the sun is shining or not.

We are, however, looking at a modification to the recorder which should enable us to use the WMO threshold as the sun ON decision point as well as producing fairly accurate W/M-2 readings.

Regards
Alan
gemini06720
Weather Station: No weather station
Operating System: No operating system

Post by gemini06720 »

apenwith wrote:...We are, however, looking at a modification to the recorder which should enable us to use the WMO threshold as the sun ON decision point as well as producing fairly accurate W/M-2 readings.
Alan, I do hope you (and Ole) will keep (or make) both options available, the original B-L 'check for sunshine every second' option and the MO 'checks the average radiation of 30 readings at 2 second intervals' option...

Just because the MO instruments use a different measuring method does not mean that it is the 'right' one... :roll:
beteljuice
Weather Station: None !
Operating System: W10 - Threadripper 16core, etc

Post by beteljuice »

For once I agree with Ray :P

It would be a shame (if the readings are accurate) to 'dumb down' the kit.

You may have created a new 'standard' :clap: :clap: :clap:
......................Imagine, what you will KNOW tomorrow !
apenwith
Weather Station: w8681 BlakeLarsen Sun Recorder
Operating System: Windows 7 SP1

Post by apenwith »

Hi

Thanks for the comments. We would love to set a new standard but two old men in their sheds are unlikely to do that. The modification would not remove the accuracy that we now have (and actually may well improve it) but would add the radiation data so it would be possible in theory to choose either method. For all weather data there are likely to be variations over quite small distances but the comparison of my sun data with the Met Office site about 20Km away shows very close daily figures over several months (quite apart from the actual trial). So there is no intention to 'dumb down' but having both methods available might be a way of saying ' Yes we can do it your way - but ours is better '. After all Campbell and Stokes must have started in a small way and became the original standard.
Interestingly some of the more modern data has been dumbed down to make historical comparisons with the CS possible.
Regards
Alan
gemini06720
Weather Station: No weather station
Operating System: No operating system

Post by gemini06720 »

Hey, old man Alan (and Ole too)... :mrgreen:

Alan, by keeping (and making available) the original sunshine recorder 'check for sunshine every second' option (as default) you are certainly not saying/stating that the concept used into the sunshine recorder is better than the concept used inside the Met Office (probably) super-expensive sunshine recorder unit, you are just saying/stating that there are other ways to get the same/similar (and as accurate) data from a unit that can/could/would be affordable (priced) to an average-man... :roll:

Another point to take into consideration ... your (and Ole's) sunshine recorder is already being tested/used at quite a few places around the world where the Met Office (Campbell and Stokes) standards are neither respected nor supported (such as in Canada and in the United States of America) ... thus, the 'actual' standards of your (and Ole's) sunshine recorder are IT, the average-man sunshine recorder standards... :)
Olejul
Weather Station: WS2350

Post by Olejul »

Long time - no hear.

Just an update on that we have now a test installation in operation in Venezuela.

Location is just 10° north of equator and we are now looking forward to see how the sun recorder will perform so close to equator.

You can follow the performance as usually for all the test sites on http://www.sunrecorder.net

We have decided to modify the recorder unit slightly by introducing as light filter which improves the recorders capability to detect a sun rise quite significantly.

Modification kits are on the way to our test users.

Best regards

Alan & Ole
yv1hx

Post by yv1hx »

Olejul wrote:Just an update on that we have now a test installation in operation in Venezuela.

Location is just 10° north of equator and we are now looking forward to see how the sun recorder will perform so close to equator.

You can follow the performance as usually for all the test sites on http://www.sunrecorder.net
Just an follow up: This instrument will be co-located with a scientific grade Solar & UV radiometer now in way.
I hope the radiometer figures will be very helpful to Alan & Ole for fine-tuning the B+L Sun recorder. :)

Best regards,
Marco
yv1hx

Post by yv1hx »

46.1C Glup! I hope the SR is not overheating!
SunRecorderTemp.PNG
:roll:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Marco
PaulMy

Post by PaulMy »

Marco-Luis,
I had that concern ;) as well in the summer but won't have to worry about that for the next 6 to 8 months. Glad to see your'e on the map.

Paul
Davis Vantage Pro2+

yv1hx

Post by yv1hx »

Thanks you Paul!

:D
Marco
PaulMy

Post by PaulMy »

Marco-Luis,
I have checked http://met.ivic.gob.ve and http://met.ivic.gob.ve/cvm
Do you have the B-L SR images included on these pages, and if so, where? My Spanish reading is not so good :oops:

I did see temperature there is 24C at the moment, and we have 17C which is very mild for us for this time of year and especially at midnight.

Our mild temperature made it much more comfortable being on the roof today when I rewired my SR mounting in a more permanent way, and also much more protection for our upcoming winter conditions.

By the looks of your sunshine recording, I'll loose my record of continuous days of some sunshine :twisted: but that will not be for at least another 3 month :lol: :lol:

Paul
Davis Vantage Pro2+

yv1hx

Post by yv1hx »

Dear Paul,
PaulMy wrote:Marco-Luis,
I have checked http://met.ivic.gob.ve and http://met.ivic.gob.ve/cvm
Do you have the B-L SR images included on these pages, and if so, where? My Spanish reading is not so good :oops:
Don't worry, maybe your Spanish is better than my English proficiency :lol:

At this time there is no SR images active in our web site, these images will be available in http://met.ivic.gob.ve/red/palmarejo/ but I have to solve the language issue :bash: Since our country official language is Spanish AND our web site belongs to an Official Government Research agency, is not good idea publish data in English without proper translating. :roll:
PaulMy wrote: I did see temperature there is 24C at the moment, and we have 17C which is very mild for us for this time of year and especially at midnight.

Our mild temperature made it much more comfortable being on the roof today when I rewired my SR mounting in a more permanent way, and also much more protection for our upcoming winter conditions.
Where you get this 24c? maybe from one of our partner stations in or near Caracas? Our main offices are about 1800 m over sea level, in a very cold mountain called "Altos de Pipe", in Miranda state, about half an hour from Caracas. We are registered there 12c at some point...

This station: http://met.ivic.gob.ve/red/Tarabana/index.html is about 20 kms north from the facility where the SR is deployed. You should use this for temperature reference until our reference weather station will be installed. (A Vaisala WXT520)
PaulMy wrote: By the looks of your sunshine recording, I'll loose my record of continuous days of some sunshine :twisted: but that will not be for at least another 3 month :lol: :lol:

Paul
By coincidence, these latter days has been very rainy and cloudy, except today :D

Don't worry I'm pretty sure about breaking yours records in a few months :twisted:
Marco