Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4017) - 17 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

What's going on with Wunderground?

Talk about the weather
mickopla
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Vue
Operating System: Windows 7

Re: What's going on with Wunderground?

Post by mickopla »

Like for everyone my WU was down for nearly 5 hours yesterday. To be honest i never knew about the catch up service until reading this thread. I had that enabled within Cumulus but i'm still missing data from the downtime. How does the Catch up service work? Cheers

Mick
Tau Bootis
Weather Station: WH1081
Operating System: Windows XP Pro SP3

Post by Tau Bootis »

Hi Mick
In Cumulus Internet settings; tick the catch up box for the sites you send data to, this will update the sites with recent data if you have had cumulus switched off for a while, but in the situation where it has failed to upload for whatever reason, it won’t work, so… what I do is:

Close Cumulus, go to the C:\cumulus\backup folder and select a backup folder which precedes the point in time where the data stopped uploading; copy all the files from that folder into the Cumulus\Data folder, over writing all (you could back them up first just in case there’s a problem) then re-start Cumulus.

It will take quite a long time to download all the data from the console, the further back it time you go the longer it will take.
Once downloaded you will see the catch up indicator flashing this also takes for ever.

One important thing to remember is to Un tick the catch up for PWS before you close Cumulus otherwise it will scramble your data on the PWS site, re tick it after catch up has finished.

If running 24/7 it’s a good idea to re start Cumulus once a week so that you never have to download more than a weeks worth of data, and don’t forget you can only retrieve what is stored in the console.
Mark

mickopla

Post by mickopla »

Tau Bootis wrote:Hi Mick
In Cumulus Internet settings; tick the catch up box for the sites you send data to, this will update the sites with recent data if you have had cumulus switched off for a while, but in the situation where it has failed to upload for whatever reason, it won’t work, so… what I do is:

Close Cumulus, go to the C:\cumulus\backup folder and select a backup folder which precedes the point in time where the data stopped uploading; copy all the files from that folder into the Cumulus\Data folder, over writing all (you could back them up first just in case there’s a problem) then re-start Cumulus.

It will take quite a long time to download all the data from the console, the further back it time you go the longer it will take.
Once downloaded you will see the catch up indicator flashing this also takes for ever.

One important thing to remember is to Un tick the catch up for PWS before you close Cumulus otherwise it will scramble your data on the PWS site, re tick it after catch up has finished.

Thanks for that. Much appreciated

If running 24/7 it’s a good idea to re start Cumulus once a week so that you never have to download more than a weeks worth of data, and don’t forget you can only retrieve what is stored in the console.
Spider-Vice
Operating System: Raspbian

Post by Spider-Vice »

It seems WU disabled my station again, and I'm sure it isn't problems with them as the last times I emailed them, they talked about erroneous temperatures and then one thing about NWS in the US! I guess I'm needing some help to make an email to end this and explain my temperatures are correct and they might be seeing the wrong WMO station...
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

What do you mean by "disabled"? Looks OK to me:
Weather Station History Weather Underground - Google Chrome_2012-01-07_11-52-12.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Steve
Spider-Vice

Post by Spider-Vice »

Oh, at the time of the post it was disabled. That's what annoys me, WU disables it and enables, when I email them, they talk about the temperatures being too high or something while they aren't actually. There are worser stations out there, but at the moment there's one that's disabled still I think. This is all automatic I guess, or maybe I should just live with it :lol:
mickopla

Post by mickopla »

Tau Bootis wrote:Hi Mick

I tried this method to upload data from one week of downtime but it didn't work for me. Checked the dayfile and i have no entries for 6 days hence no uploads to Wunderground. I'm wondering am i doing something wrong. I copied a data backup from Jan 5th about one hour before my PC crashed. I replaced the files from that folder and placed them in the data folder and let Cumulus do its thing but still no updates. Any help would be appreciated.

Mick
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

mickopla wrote:I tried this method to upload data from one week of downtime but it didn't work for me. Checked the dayfile and i have no entries for 6 days hence no uploads to Wunderground. I'm wondering am i doing something wrong. I copied a data backup from Jan 5th about one hour before my PC crashed. I replaced the files from that folder and placed them in the data folder and let Cumulus do its thing but still no updates. Any help would be appreciated.
It would take a very long time to do 8 days worth of WU uploads - did you leave it long enough? Or are you saying that Cumulus itself didn't get the missing data - that you ended up with six days missing from dayfile.txt after you started it?

You shouldn't have needed to use any backup files; as I told you in the other thread, Cumulus would just have carried on from where it had got to before your PC crashed without any intervention, assuming the data was available in the station. If you zip up the diags folder and attach it, I'll take a look, but it would probably be better to start a new thread.
Steve
Spider-Vice

Post by Spider-Vice »

So the heat is back and I'm suffering from WU again, my station has been banned off the maps (again?!) just because the NE winds have warmed up my station for 3ºC compared to what it was, and because a station in the mount nearby, badly located, is 5 degrees below me... It's really aggrivating really, wish there was a way to convince them it's right.

Luckily I also got my own website and the station on PWSWeather.
pete_c
Weather Station: Davis Vue-Pro2 - Fine Offset
Operating System: W2003-XPSP3-Linux

Post by pete_c »

Weatherunderground was purchased by Weather Channel not too long ago.

http://www.wunderground.com/about/pr/news.asp

That said lately their moon phase's reporting is a bit off.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by pete_c on Fri 20 Jul 2012 2:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Pete
Automator
gemini06720
Weather Station: No weather station
Operating System: No operating system

Post by gemini06720 »

Pete, I just checked my pages ('[link removed]') on Weather Underground including the '[link removed]' page and the moon information is accurate.

Might there be something wrong with the script you are using to download the data from Weather Underground... :(
Weatherunderground was purchased by Weather Channel not too long ago
Please, do not start anything with that statement - rumours already abound in other forums based on unfounded rumours - true, the Weather Channel Companies (TWCC) have purchased Weather Underground, but no one, not even Alan Steremberg, the president of Weather Underground, have been let go - it is just operations as usual for all the employees of Weather Underground - the Weather Channel needs the employees of Weather Underground a lot more than the employees of Weather Underground need the Weather Channel. :roll:
Last edited by gemini06720 on Sun 09 Jun 2013 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
pete_c
Weather Station: Davis Vue-Pro2 - Fine Offset
Operating System: W2003-XPSP3-Linux

Post by pete_c »

Yup; issues relate to API/XML feeds.
Hi,

Hopefully it was just a hiccup. Are you using the Planner feature at the same time you're looking at Astronomy data? There seems to be a bug with Planner and Astronomy at the same time which gives bad moon information.

Thanks,
Customer Service

Ticket Details
===================
Ticket ID: KWV-XXXXXX
Category: API/XML Feeds
My post/weathercam upload is related to a problem ticket. The overlay text is part one of my jest relating to an MTR for the above ticket number.

I have never had nor have any intentions to starting any rumors.

The aquisition of WUN and issue relating to the API/XML feeds is just plan fact; no malfeasance intended.
- Pete
Automator