Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4017) - 17 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Davis Vantage Pro to Cumulus without WL?

Discussion specific to Davis weather stations
paleoguy
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro (Cabled)
Operating System: XP

Davis Vantage Pro to Cumulus without WL?

Post by paleoguy »

I've been given a sweet older Vantage Pro 6310C along with its Keyspan USA-19HS datalogger serial-to-USB cable. But no software. It is running merrily along as I type this with no observable problems. My computer is an older (5 years) pc running Windows XP. I have grown to love Cumulus from running an Ambient previously.

My elementary (very) question is this: can my VP 6310C interface with my XP's Cumulus and, if so, how? I followed Grumpy Moose's saga, also...would his procedure fit my situation?

Many thanks for whatever help is out there.
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: Davis Vantage Pro to Cumulus without WL?

Post by steve »

Is this 'Keyspan' device a compatible equivalent to the Davis Weatherlink logger (the hardware bit of the WL package)? If so, from the software point of view I would imagine that the procedure would be exactly the same as worked for Grumpy Moose.
Steve
paleoguy

Post by paleoguy »

I am ASSUMING (with all of the hazards therein) that the Keyspan data logger may be the same...it is the connection that the previous owner used. I don't know where I could check to see if they are identical, though.

I'll see how far I can get with Grumpy's list...what can it hurt? Thanks for the reply, Steve.

...minutes later...

Nah! The update wouldn't open/operate for me; gotta have WL first. Back to square one.
Grumpy Moose
Weather Station: Davis VP2
Operating System: Win 7

Post by Grumpy Moose »

Well, I guess that answers the question about running the WL Updater without a previously registered copy!

Question though. I believe the Keyspan USA-19HS you are referencing is simply a Serial to USB Cable converter? If so, that is not the data logger. In other words the console itself has a serial plug coming out of it?

You should be able to contact Davis (or search their website) to get the original driver for your datalogger. The driver for the Keyspan USA-19HS is also readily available on the Tripp Lite website.

http://www.tripplite.com/en/products/mo ... delID=3914

Then if you need to run the CP210X USB to Serial Bridge, it should run stand alone with the "manufacturing.dll" supplied by the Davis Driver.

The funny part of course would be the Data Logger running a serial cable, converting that to USB via the Keyspan USA-19HS, then back to Serial by the CP210X USB to Serial Bridge! Maybe just find a serial port PCI adapter card for your PC and pluging the data logger in directly, bypassing everything else? They are pretty cheap.
paleoguy

Post by paleoguy »

G.M., you are a wise man...much more so than I. You're right, the Keyspan is not a datalogger, the whole enchilada starts with a Davis datalogger that plugs into the monitor output. The output of the datalogger is a conventional 4 wire phone terminal. That, in turn, plugs into a Davis A.T. adapter, which, in turn, plugs into the Keyspan USA-19HS gizmo. Output from the Keyspan is in the form of a little 'D' shaped female terminal that I've only seen on printers before. Plugged into the 'D' terminal is a 30 inch shielded cable that ends in a USB connector. Whew! It may have worked for Mr. Previous Owner, but doesn't for me.
To make a long story just a bit longer, I bit the bullet and ordered new Weatherlink software with a new datalogger. Now to make it all work with Cumulus... LOL
Grumpy Moose
Weather Station: Davis VP2
Operating System: Win 7

Post by Grumpy Moose »

paleoguy wrote:The output of the datalogger is a conventional 4 wire phone terminal. That, in turn, plugs into a Davis A.T. adapter, which, in turn, plugs into the Keyspan USA-19HS gizmo. Output from the Keyspan is in the form of a little 'D' shaped female terminal that I've only seen on printers before. Plugged into the 'D' terminal is a 30 inch shielded cable that ends in a USB connector.
Yikes! :o
paleoguy

Post by paleoguy »

As an update, my cabled VP just came through an interesting late spring two day snow storm with high winds...and never missed a beat. The cumulus program performed flawlessly and continues to do so. Steve, feel free to use me for a testimonial. Many thanks...again.