Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

wind direction translate from easyweather.dat

Discussion specific to Fine Offset and similar rebadged weather stations
v.glytsis
Weather Station: GIOM 3000
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

wind direction translate from easyweather.dat

Post by v.glytsis »

I run Cumulus for 1 month on 6 GIOM 3000 poe weahter stations and i have a problem with direction readings on 1 of my servers. This pc was running ok until last week that the errors begun.
I connect the data with easyweather.dat, occassionaly the cumulus wind compass gives some instant records of Absolute North direction when my easyweather.dat gives EES (i think i am not sure this happens on EES or NNE but not on absolutes N,E or W - but i only think i am not sure!) Furthermore i ve noticed in the graph that there are periods that it is working ok and periods (1-2 hours) that cumulus gives faulty North direction. I ve checked a lot of times in fault periods and my easyweather.dat gives right measures (not absolute North)

I attach an easyweather.dat when my cumulus shows instant records of absolute North.
1,2013-02-25 10:44:07,2013-02-25 10:44:07,1,0,0,0,20.3,15.2,18.8,1015.7,1052.2,2.9,3,3.5,0,5,EES,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,123456,00000000000000000000000000000000

please check the fault Diagram here (attached on 25/2/2013 08.45 AM UTC time)(ii hope when viewed there are errors but i am kind of sure because i check 1 week now)
http://www.beacheyeweather.gr/weatherst ... yssos.html

p.s. is there any way to change the red colour on windd.png diagramms to grey so they cannot be viewed/? i want to have only the blue ticks if it is possible,it really confuses my audience because instant records can be far away from average some times.

Really congrats about your program, i am a new user and have some minor problems until now but i think you can fix them,it seems you really deserve a donate about your tool and i am gonna give u for sure.

http://www.beacheye.gr
The Next Generation of Xtreme Sports Reporting, Greece
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: wind direction translate from easyweather.dat

Post by steve »

I wasn't aware that Easyweather logged 'EES'; Normally it logs 'SEE' (when it should really be 'ESE', of course), and that's what Cumulus checks for. I suppose I could change it to look for 'EES' as well, but the 'easyweather.dat' method is not really supported now, and you should be driving the station directly in Cumulus rather than via Easyweather. If I'm going to change the easyweather.dat code, I'll need to know what your version logs for the other directions, in particular ENE, WNW and WSW.

To change the wind direction graph colours, right-click on the graph in Cumulus. You could try setting it to the same colour as the background.
Steve
v.glytsis

Post by v.glytsis »

Your response was really quick, i already made a donate and advice others who use this tool to do so, it is really useful and maybe better than some paid that i have checked.

I connected one of my POE GIOM 3000 near my pc and changed manually the wind direction sensor to all angles and opened the easyweather.dat to take the data.So the data looks like this:
North = 0,N
22,5 ANGLE = 1,NNE
45 ANGLE = 2,NE
77,5 ANGLE = 3,NEE
90 ANGLE = ....
112,5 ANGLE = 5,EES
135 ANGLE = 6,SE
157,5 ANGLE= 7,SSE
180 ANGLE = ......
202,5 ANGLE = 9,SSW
225 ANGLE = 10,SW
247,5 ANGLE = 11,SSW
270 ANGLE = ....
292,5 ANGLE = 13, NWW
315 ANGLE = 14, NW
337,5 ANGLE = 15 NNW
360 ANGLE = ....

The easyweather.dat log is produced by a user program which i dont know how proffessional is. maybe thats why the logs are different in some directions. can we do something for updating to the new values from cumulus ?

- I have one more problem with my stations and cumulus , once or twice a day my stations give 2-3 faulty measures of 70-90 knots wind speed! is there any way to ignore these measures? the frustrating is that the scale of graphs are auto changed to 100 knots max and then is almost unreadable until some hours pass and the high 90 knots measure not appear to the timeline. I will really appreciate if we can solve this and ignore these measures.

steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

v.glytsis wrote:The easyweather.dat log is produced by a user program which i dont know how proffessional is. maybe thats why the logs are different in some directions. can we do something for updating to the new values from cumulus ?
Do you mean that these aren't Fine Offset stations, but you have some software creating a file in easyweather.data format for Cumulus to read? If so, the program ought to log 'SEE' rather than 'EES' (or better still, the correct version which is 'ESE'). I can add 'EES' to a future version of Cumulus, but the software really should be changed anyway. All of those other strings you've mentioned are already in Cumulus.
- I have one more problem with my stations and cumulus , once or twice a day my stations give 2-3 faulty measures of 70-90 knots wind speed! is there any way to ignore these measures? the frustrating is that the scale of graphs are auto changed to 100 knots max and then is almost unreadable until some hours pass and the high 90 knots measure not appear to the timeline. I will really appreciate if we can solve this and ignore these measures.
Cumulus has facilities for rejecting out-of-range values and 'spikes', but not for the 'easyweather.dat' method, as it assumes that the software creating the easyweather.dat is doing the filtering. I'm afraid I have enough to deal with filtering bad data from weather stations that Cumulus supports directly, without having to deal with all kinds of other weather stations where other software is involved.
Steve
v.glytsis

Post by v.glytsis »

hmm i am confused, can you check if GIOM 3000 http://plantron.gr/en/GIOM_3000 is a fine offset weather station? or if cumulus supports that station directly? Can you suggest any method of creating an easyweather.dat with a compatible way? i use simpletmserver now http://plantron.gr/sites/plantron.gr/fi ... Server.zip

If you add the EES in log when will it be out for download? i already run 4 stations and i am gonna run around 10 in the end of next month , so i need to know to announce my audience.

steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

It doesn't look like any Fine Offset station that I've seen.

I can add 'EES' to the next beta, but I have no idea when that will be, I have just come to the end of a release cycle with 1.9.3. The problem is with the software creating the file; that's where the problem should really be fixed.
Steve
v.glytsis

Post by v.glytsis »

Ohh i have some update of the problem, one other station (same pc-cumulus-meteo station-easyweather.dat) translates sometimes faulty the EES to SSW (and not N like the first station) and that SOMETIMES :p sometimes it works and shows EES correctly ??? you can check your own now at http://www.beacheyeweather.gr/weatherst ... yssos.html

Do you think that cumulus can translate unknown logs like EES to random directions?? the one station translates to N and the other translates SOMETIMES to SSW .. please check on that link above that 3 hours before it was correctly understanding the same EES log on .dat file ! i am kinda confused..
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

EES will always give bearing zero in the current version.
Steve
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

I've just noticed another bug in the software you're using:

202,5 ANGLE = 9,SSW
225 ANGLE = 10,SW
247,5 ANGLE = 11,SSW

That last one should be WSW, or as Easyweather has it, SWW.
Steve
v.glytsis

Post by v.glytsis »

Sorry for that, it was a typing mistake, checked it already and it is SWW.
v.glytsis

Post by v.glytsis »

I figured out that the compass and the wind direction graph are not translating the easyweather.dat direction logs right again in another direction,now i think this time its not a direction log error because my easyweatheer logs are right ( its N,NNE and NE) . when my cumulus setup translates them to E,ESE !! . To prove if this is a cumulus error i checked windrose at the same time and it was showing North direction when wind direction graph was showing East.. you van check it out here.. do you have any idea whats its going on?

These pngs are online auto uploaded by cumulus.

You can check my easyweather.dat logs here ( i pay attention to this 3 hours now and the logs are all from N or NNE or NE.
http://www.beacheyeweather.gr/weatherst ... eather.dat
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

Clearly Cumulus is translating them correctly, because the wind rose is correct. It's presumably a problem with the chart, presumably when the 'use South for win dir origin' is selected. So, it's either a bug in the Cumulus code that handles that, or a bug in chart component. Does restarting Cumulus make any difference? If not, switch off the 'use south' option to confirm that the chart is then plotted correctly.
Steve
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

Actually, I'm not convinced there's a problem there at all.
Steve
v.glytsis

Post by v.glytsis »

I restarted Cumulus but again the compass gives East while the Wind is North and the .dat file gives N-NNE . i unchecked the ''use south'' but again no result - compass gives instant records and average still East, but now these actions cleared windrose and now windroses gives faulty East too.
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

I'd need to see your easyweather.dat entries; not just that one that's stuck at 2013-02-28 12:12:25
Steve