Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

usb to rj45 extender extention adapter

Talk about anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - PLEASE don't put Cumulus queries in here!
bruce45
Weather Station: wh1081
Operating System: windows 10

usb to rj45 extender extention adapter

Post by bruce45 »

has anyone ever used these before if so how well do they work? my thought was that they could be used for extending webcams maybe as well as other devices rather than usb repeater's
any info would helpful as my flat is solid granite and I have a wireless cctv camera which uses a usb receiver but it has to be close to the window to get the signal which is the other side of the flat to my laptop.
they claim

USB Cat5/Cat5e/6 Rj45 LAN Extension Adapter Cable

Features:
1.Self-powered, no external power source is required
2.Uses standard Cat5/Cat5E/Cat6 patch cord (not included)
3.Ideal for use with USB cameras, printers, web cams, keyboard/mouse extensions, and any other USB devices
4.Support up to 50meters / 164ft network cable

Package Include:
1 x RJ 45 MALE Extension adapter
1 x RJ 45 FEMALE Extension adapter

just an update they are on ebay around a £5.00 with postage some cheaper.

could maybe work with weather base stations remote from a pc
beteljuice
Weather Station: None !
Operating System: W10 - Threadripper 16core, etc

Re: usb to rj45 extender extention adapter

Post by beteljuice »

Some slightly strange wording there ...
No problems with RJ45, but it's basically data only.
The remote device (and sometimes distant adaptor) requires its own power supply.
......................Imagine, what you will KNOW tomorrow !
bruce45

Post by bruce45 »

just so I have my head around the theory usb is 4 wire 2 data 2 power. cat5 or cat 6 is 8 wire so could this not use bunched pairs of wires to reduce the resistance so it would extend the power to the far end and the others for the data. just my own thoughts on it as I cant find any pin out diagrams for these. could be wrong but if anyone has come across these and tried them would like feed back to see if they are any good
Chunky54
Weather Station: N96GY
Operating System: Windows 7 64bit

Post by Chunky54 »

I have been using USB to RJ45 range extender cable successfully for the last 12 months to extend my N96GY station from another room to my laptop in the lounge. Our house is 150 years old and has 18" thick solid stone walls which kept causing the WiFi link to drop out all the time. Using the extenders which I bought off eBay with a Cat5 cable I now have the base station mounted in the extension which is traditional cavity wall build and it has not had any WiFi drop outs since.

So they work fine and cheap at the price too. Don't know if you could use it for a webcam, but I suppose for the price, mine cost less than £10 inc. postage, it would be worth a try.
bruce45

Post by bruce45 »

thanks for that info.

I think I will give it a try and will post my results when I have tested them.
bruce45

Post by bruce45 »

well they arrived today and hooked up a 20 metre length of cable with a rj56 socket on each end and connected them up with a usb flash drive and it worked first time. next I tried the wireless cctv unit and it worked as well. so they work ok but I did not by the cheaper unit I got the Roline USB 1.1 Extender over RJ45 on ebay £14.67 plus £3.00 postage.

they might help others that need to extend there usb connection's over greater distances