Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V4 release 4.0.1 (build 4023) - 16 May 2024

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Sorry I think this needs to be said

Talk about anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - PLEASE don't put Cumulus queries in here!
The hooded Claw
Weather Station: WH1090+C1/C2"ghosting"
Operating System: Windows 7 Pro

Re: Sorry I think this needs to be said

Post by The hooded Claw »

Arnie wrote:Hang in there Keith

As a new member to the Forum I must say how much patience Steve and David have.
My skill level is very basic but Ive managed to find my way through with lots of support and a little luck
I just want to add the support I've had on here far exceeds the support I've had elsewhere. Its a great product and a great forum to support it! :)
I could not agree more

Bye the way Keith, did you create your banner? as I am still completely baffled with trying to set up mine, but with perseverence I will get there, like life you dont need to hand fed and watered all ones life.

Cheers
Brian
Sydney Australia
http://www.wentworthvilleweather.com

Hi Brian,

ME!!!!...............Create a Banner !!!!............You GOTTA BE JOKING!!!!!........... David did it for me (DAVID DOES everything for me!!!!)

As I said I'm a Heating & Vent Eng.......... gimme a Gas Boiler or a Tosh Air Con unit & I'll have it in bits in minutes fix it & put it back together again NO PROBS

Funny thing though, You strip something down, re-assemble it & it works fine ................but you ALWAYS have 2 or 3 screws left over!!!!!!! ....................you go back into the unit & check ..................& ALL THE HOLES HAVE SCREWS IN!!!!!!! I'm sure when they make these things they just chuck a handful of spare crews in & think ....."Ahhhh That'll confuse the buggers!!!!!!!"
daj
Weather Station: WH1081
Operating System: Pi & MX

Post by daj »

Hi Brian

As you are hosted with me (as Keith is), I can offer some assistance with the banner. I have dropped you an email
David
kippfordweather.uk
Cumulus MX & Raspberry Pi
ag0044
Weather Station: WH1091
Operating System: Win7

Post by ag0044 »

(Trial my simple web hosting for Cumulus users...gloHosting)
I just had a quick look at gloHosting and am tempted, after all
I will provide this for 10ukp
for a year sounds really cheap - one pound for a decade. [Sorry, couldn't resist.]

To the thread originator,

I've worked on IT Help Desks for the last 20 years and, while there are always new questions and problems to be solved, equally there are always the same old questions and problems. Professionally, we - IT people - may be disparaging about folk who think the CD tray is a coffee cup holder, but I know nothing about how to fix a problem with my car, for example, and I'd expect that the same questions and problems crop up there all the time too. We all - all of us, not just IT "geeks" - know a little about something, and not-much-at-all about most everything else.

However, based on my very brief time on this forum, I think this is one of the best forums I've seen for sensible, helpful responses. Advice seems to be given freely, with the aim of helping the person with a problem. Compared to some forums I've visited (where the standard polite answer to any basic question is: "There are plenty of threads on this subject already. Read them, IDIOT"), this is the vicarage garden party. And Steve's response is fantastic!

That said, the one piece of advice I would offer you and your friends is: search. Use Google. Use Wikipedia (with all its faults). Use this forum's search facility. If you can't find the answer to your problem: ask, and be as technical as you can. By being as technical as you can, you tell your prospective helper how technical - or non-technical - you are. (I hope that makes sense!)

If one doesn't ask, one doesn't learn.

I hope you and I stay on this forum long enough that we can help each other.
Gina
Weather Station: Nothing working ATM - making one
Operating System: OS X, Linux Mint, Win7 & XP

Post by Gina »

What an interesting thread :) :) Thank you Keith for starting it :) I've only just come across it, having spent most of my time in the more technical areas.

I have had a career in electronics and computers which was somewhat unusual for women when I started :lol: My father started me off on this path I think with his interest in electrics and radio (called wireless in those days) and I had an inquiring mind. Yes, I have been around quite a long time - a "silver surfer" :lol: I could probably write a book on my experiences in a lifetime in electronics and developing computer technology - if I had the time. I am still learning and loving it :) I've done a bit of training/teaching too in my time, as a side issue in my employment and as a hobby later when I gave instruction in the basics of computers to several members of our local Women's Institute. They knew nothing, so I had to start with the ON button :lol: It was very interesting. As an experienced computer user and developer I found it very different to explain things in such simple terms. Unfortunately, we had to abandon the course after a few months due to the outbreak of Foot and Mouth Disease (some 8 years ago) - we have a smallholding with a few animals and birds (very different from the technological life!). However, I still have computers and electronics as a hobby and I'm still developing new software. And one of my W.I. pupils went on to get computer qualifications and run the administrative side of their farm.

I think pretty much everything has already been said in this thread and I feel I have little to add. I think many of us are quite expert in some things but newcomers to others. This certainly applies to me and I have learned a lot from this forum and am indebted to Steve for providing it and having the patience to answer questions - it's not easy, as I know from experience. I would also like to take this opportunity to thank the other members for their help too :)
Gina

Sorry, no banner - weather station out of action. Hoping to be up and running with a new home-made one soon.
Hillbilly
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus
Operating System: Vista Home Premium SP2

Post by Hillbilly »

I used to be very techie but know more about mainframe and minicomputer programming than PCs. I bought the weather station as a birthday present for my husband and just thought it would be something he played with and commented on to me. I hadn't bargained on everything Cumulus would open up for us. I had discovered the info about the software when I researched weatehr stations, so gave my husband the link and left him to make up his mind. Luckily he went for Cumulus and it's great. Like Gina, I have learnt so much from the forum. Lots of the weather stuff goes over my head but I just read and re-read and look at the wiki, like others have said. I feel slightly nervous about posting questions for fear of appearing dim, but having seen the clear and patient responses when someone doesn't understand, have a little more confidence now.

The web site has been a great adventure. I had already developed a site for our gites in France and we decided the weather owuld be a nice fun addition to it. Taking on the templates has taught me so much about html and web sites so have done my best to work through and customise, to force myself to learn.

So thanks to everyone here, I just have to try and make sure I don't become obsessed!
Many thanks
Helen

La Locherie Weather
hills
Weather Station: Fine Offset WH1091
Operating System: Raspbian Buster

Post by hills »

Great website Helen! I assume gites are what we call "bed and breakfast" accomodation? They look great as well!
Hillbilly

Post by Hillbilly »

Hi Phil,

Thanks for the comments. These are self contained cottages, which people rent for a week or two, so have their own kitchen, bathroom etc and self-cater. The French call them gites, in England we would call them country cottages or similar. We have an occasional Aussie or Kiwi on a Eurpoean tour but our guests are mainly Brits.

Regards.
Many thanks
Helen

La Locherie Weather
daj

Post by daj »

In Scotland we would call them a "Butt 'n Ben". Although technically it would only have two rooms. A nice word though. Language is a facinating thing.
David
kippfordweather.uk
Hillbilly

Post by Hillbilly »

So what would 'Butt n Ben translate to David?'
Many thanks
Helen

La Locherie Weather
daj

Post by daj »

Butt n Ben was a traditional two room cottage, often as holiday cottage in the country

The Butt was the Living Room/Kitchen (combined)
The Ben was the Bedroom
David
kippfordweather.uk
Hillbilly

Post by Hillbilly »

I love that, so expressive!
Many thanks
Helen