Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Stream open failed

Discussion specific to Fine Offset and similar rebadged weather stations
hucknz
Weather Station: WT1081
Operating System: Docker

Stream open failed

Post by hucknz »

Hi folks,

After updating to b3220 of Cumulus MX this morning I'm now getting the following error with my FineOffset station:

Code: Select all

2023-01-03 16:45:36.200 Looking for Fine Offset station, VendorID=0x1941 ProductID=0x8021
2023-01-03 16:45:36.201 Fine Offset station found
2023-01-03 16:45:36.201 Stream open failed
I updated Cumulus MX at 4:06 and this started around 4:07, according to the last station update in Cumulus. I'm not sure if it's related to the update though.

So far I've tried the following:
  • Downgrade to b3215
  • Reset display unit (remove batteries & USB, wait 20 seconds, reinstall) and the display was back to factory settings after - confirmed display unit is showing data from the weather station
  • Setup Cumulus MX on another computer (this makes me suspect it may not be the Cumulus update)
None of these steps have resolved the problem.

Anyone have any other tips I can try? The station is fairly new (Nov '22).
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Re: Stream open failed

Post by mcrossley »

There were no changes to the fine offset code in the latest release, indeed not for quite some time.

All I can suggest is try some more battery & cable out resets of console. Try leaving it off for a couple of minutes.
hucknz

Post by hucknz »

Thanks Mark.

Is it normal to not be able to open any historical data without the station connected? I don’t seem to be able to look at say December in the historical charts since the station disconnected, even though I know there should be data there as I was looking at it the day before.
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

Yeah, unfortunately the FO station tries to establish the connection to the console in the station initialisation code. Until that completes CMX will not function correctly.
hucknz

Post by hucknz »

Cool, that at least rules out the instance being the issue.

Is there a way to debug the stream open stuff in more detail? I'm not sure exactly what steps that process takes so I don't know if there's any more detail to be gleaned from doing that...
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

I don't think so. You could sniff the USB traffic, but that is heavy stuff to analyse.

You could also try the FO software and see if that gives an error that is more helpful - or even works.
hucknz

Post by hucknz »

Ok, thanks.

I haven't tried the FO software but I can update the logging interval using Steve's tool so there's definitely some connectivity still there. Not sure if I can be bothered sinking the time into the analysis or just giving up and buying a better station. This one was a freebie and looking it up it's definitely at the cheap end of the cheap stations so it's no big loss.

Appreciate the help.
Super-T
Weather Station: wh-1081
Operating System: Weather Laptop - Windows 10 Pro

Post by Super-T »

What part of NZ are you in as I have a couple of spare sets of fine offset stations that may help you trouble shoot?
hucknz

Post by hucknz »

Thanks for the offer. I'm North Shore based. If you're nearby I'd certainly consider borrowing a console to test that out.

That said I did wake up this morning to discover the wind vane is gone and one of the anemometer cups looks damaged so I'm debating just getting a whole new system. I have yet to go on a hunt to see if they're somewhere in the vicinity but I've been eyeing up replacing it with the Ecowitt GW1101 from Amazon.com.au. Would love to hear any local recommendations if you have them?