Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Davis VP/VP2/Vue to MX question

Discussion specific to Davis weather stations
SUBYDAZZ
Weather Station: Oregon Scientific WMR200
Operating System: Windows 11

Davis VP/VP2/Vue to MX question

Post by SUBYDAZZ »

I'm considering getting a Davis station to replace an Oregon Scientific model that I can no longer get parts for, but wondered what the minimum I needed to get them working with Cumulus MX was? Will they log some data and talk to MX out of the box, or do you need to get data loggers/ cables or the Weatherlink live data connector etc.?
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Re: Davis VP/VP2/Vue to MX question

Post by mcrossley »

If you just buy a console and ISS with sensors, then you will also need to buy either a logger of some sort (Davis or third party) to plug into the console; or you could buy a WeatherLink Live (WLL).

If you can do without a console then you can just buy a WLL and ISS. Then view the data on your phone/computer via the Davis App/web site, or via CMX and a personal web site.

With the WLL, you would need to consider if you also purchase a Pro subscription to WeatherLink.com to get access to historic data and logging intervals shorter than 15 minutes
SUBYDAZZ

Post by SUBYDAZZ »

Thanks, excuse my ignorance but whats ISS?
freddie
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2 + Ecowitt
Operating System: GNU/Linux Ubuntu 22.04 LXC

Post by freddie »

SUBYDAZZ wrote: Fri 10 Feb 2023 8:34 am Thanks, excuse my ignorance but whats ISS?
International space station ;)

Seriously - it stands for integrated sensor suite.
Freddie
SUBYDAZZ

Post by SUBYDAZZ »

freddie wrote: Fri 10 Feb 2023 8:54 am
International space station ;)
That's the first thing I thought of too :)
SUBYDAZZ

Post by SUBYDAZZ »

mcrossley wrote: Wed 01 Feb 2023 8:48 am
If you can do without a console then you can just buy a WLL and ISS. Then view the data on your phone/computer via the Davis App/web site, or via CMX and a personal web site.

With the WLL, you would need to consider if you also purchase a Pro subscription to WeatherLink.com to get access to historic data and logging intervals shorter than 15 minutes
How Does Cumulus MX pick up the data from Davis staions via WLL? Does it just poll their website or is there a USB or Wi-Fi connection where it can pick up data in more frequent intervals than 15mins?

Also, will the new Weatherlink Console talk to Cumulus MX, negating the need for a logger or WLL if this console is used?
PaulMy
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Plus 24-Hour FARS
Operating System: Windows8 and Windows10

Post by PaulMy »

Hi,
How Does Cumulus MX pick up the data from Davis staions via WLL?
CMX uses the WLL IP address to access the live data stream, like with an IP logger.
Does it just poll their website or is there a USB or Wi-Fi connection where it can pick up data in more frequent intervals than 15mins?
If you have a WLcom Pro subscription CMX uses the API details to also access that logged data, including catch-up in the event of CMX being stopped, which can be at 5-minutes interval on a paid subscription, or 1-minute interval with a Pro + subscription.
Also, will the new Weatherlink Console talk to Cumulus MX, negating the need for a logger or WLL if this console is used?
At this time, no or not yet.

Enjoy,
Paul
VP2+
C1 www.komokaweather.com/komokaweather-ca
MX https://komokaweather.com/cumulusmx/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX https://komokaweather.com/cumulusmxwll/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX https:// komokaweather.com/cumulusmx4/index.htm
SUBYDAZZ

Post by SUBYDAZZ »

Thanks Paul,
PaulMy wrote: Sat 11 Feb 2023 3:22 am Hi,
How Does Cumulus MX pick up the data from Davis staions via WLL?
CMX uses the WLL IP address to access the live data stream, like with an IP logger.
So how often can MX poll this data? So if Cumulus is running all the time then there's no need to have a separate logger with this setup if you're only collecting data for MX?

The only other item I was wondering about was the 6316: Wireless Weather Envoy™. Is this effectively a wireless version of the 6510USB: WeatherLink® USB Data Logger, and can it be used for Cumulus MX as well?
PaulMy
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Plus 24-Hour FARS
Operating System: Windows8 and Windows10

Post by PaulMy »

So how often can MX poll this data?
With WLL it is ongoing, nearly live. About the same as from the other loggers.
So if Cumulus is running all the time then there's no need to have a separate logger with this setup if you're only collecting data for MX?
Yes, just need the ISS and WLL, and the WLL will also update WL.com. With a WL.com Pro subscription WL.com is the source for catch-up historical data in the event CMX is stopped for a while (unlike the USB/serial logger, CMX cannot get historical data from the WLL). WLL is the datalogger to hold data during internet interruption and when internet is restored it will update WL.com.
The only other item I was wondering about was the 6316: Wireless Weather Envoy™. Is this effectively a wireless version of the 6510USB: WeatherLink® USB Data Logger,
Not quite, the Envoy receives data like a console but is headless. It would usually be used with one of the USB/serial or IP logger (Davis IP logger is discontinued but a third-party replacement WiFiLogger is available for connecting to a computer and run Weatherlink PC program and also uploading to WL.com.
and can it be used for Cumulus MX as well?
Yes, with any of the USB, serial or IP logger.

p.s. I run the Envoy with USB logger and Cumulus on Windows PC. Also Vue console with WiFiLogger for upload to WL.com and several other weather services like WU, CWOP, WOW, etc. and running CMX. And WLL with Pro WL.com and from which I run several CumulusMX installs.

Enjoy,
Paul
VP2+
C1 www.komokaweather.com/komokaweather-ca
MX https://komokaweather.com/cumulusmx/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX https://komokaweather.com/cumulusmxwll/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX https:// komokaweather.com/cumulusmx4/index.htm