Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Buy with a new or old console VP2+

Discussion specific to Davis weather stations
hibbi
Weather Station: VP2+
Operating System: Windows 10

Buy with a new or old console VP2+

Post by hibbi »

Hello,

I've looked around a bit now and decided to buy a vp2+, but should I choose the old or new console to be able to log data via cumulus?

On the new one, the interface looks a lot nicer, but I'm not sure if the new console is better functionally. The old one seems proven and reliable.
Even if there is a power cut.
I have understood that I need a 6100 weatherlink live to get the transmission to the computer.
I will mostly use the weatherlink mobile app, but will probably try to get it into my home assistant eventually.
I live in Sweden and have to buy a heater to be able to measure the snow in winter as well.
Logging via cumulus is for security so I always have the historical data on the computer (in higher resolution, every minute)
and to be able to get it in excel.

What would you have chosen today?
PaulMy
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Plus 24-Hour FARS
Operating System: Windows8 and Windows10

Re: Buy with a new or old console VP2+

Post by PaulMy »

For the Davis and CumulusMX you would only need the ISS and the Weatherlink Live, no console needed. But a local console is also nice to have to look at as well. I would go with the new console as it is being actively developed.

Enjoy,
Paul
VP2+
C1 www.komokaweather.com/komokaweather-ca
MX https://komokaweather.com/cumulusmx/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX https://komokaweather.com/cumulusmxwll/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX https:// komokaweather.com/cumulusmx4/index.htm
Lonski
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2 with WLL
Operating System: Windows 11

Post by Lonski »

I know in Australia all new ISS come with the new console. The new console will update to the Davis weatherlink website the same as the WLL will.

But the new console won't hook intro Cumulus like the WLL will. Hopefully this will change sometime in the future.

I have a WLL and the new console, and am happy to help with any Cumulus development, if need be, to get it working ;)
Darknstormy
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus

Post by Darknstormy »

Lonski wrote: Sat 01 Jul 2023 11:12 pm I know in Australia all new ISS come with the new console. The new console will update to the Davis weatherlink website the same as the WLL will.

But the new console won't hook intro Cumulus like the WLL will. Hopefully this will change sometime in the future.

I have a WLL and the new console, and am happy to help with any Cumulus development, if need be, to get it working ;)
Afternoon Lonski,

I have a question about the new console, does it have logon details for Weather underground and others? and to clarify you mean you can't plug the console into the computer and use cumulus or weatherlink, it all needs to be done via the console?
ImageImage
ConligWX
Weather Station: Davis vPro2+ w/DFARS + AirLink
Operating System: Ubuntu 24.04 LTS

Post by ConligWX »

Personally I'd go for the vpro2 and a WLL. That's all that's needed to report data to weatherlink.com

Cumulusmx will collect data from the WLL and report the data to all the other 3rd party vendors and any website you want to host.
Regards Simon

https://www.conligwx.org - @conligwx
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus with Daytime FARS • WeatherLink Live • Davis AirLink • PurpleAir • CumulusMX v4.0.0

Lonski

Post by Lonski »

Darknstormy wrote: Sat 22 Jul 2023 3:03 am
Afternoon Lonski,

I have a question about the new console, does it have logon details for Weather underground and others? and to clarify you mean you can't plug the console into the computer and use cumulus or weatherlink, it all needs to be done via the console?
Short answer is, No.

No options for Weather Underground or anything else except Weatherlink.com. If you need data to go to a 3rd party website, you will still need other software like Cumulus as stated above. But new console is not supported.

The new console will send data to Weatherlink.com just like WLL device does, but the bonus of a touch screen you can interact with.

Only drawback currently is that I have not found any software that can grab the data (like Cumulus does with WLL) to use with 3rd party websites.

Hopefully this will change soon, as the new console is only new and hopefully someone will be able to get the functionality that cumulus has with WLL on the new console.
Darknstormy

Post by Darknstormy »

Strange because at the bottom of this page https://www.davisinstruments.com/pages/ ... nk-console it says - Share Your Weather Data With A Growing List Of Third-Party Services Weather Underground Citizen Weather Observer Program (CWOP).
ImageImage
Lonski

Post by Lonski »

Not directly from the console, but from within weatherlink.com if you subscribe.
Darknstormy

Post by Darknstormy »

Lonski wrote: Sun 23 Jul 2023 12:33 am Not directly from the console, but from within weatherlink.com if you subscribe.
Thankyou. I found it via my account.. :D expensive to get better upload intervals! eeek
ImageImage
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

Yep, you get 15 minute uploads to 3rd parties on the free subscription, anything faster costs. But you also get the ability to catch-up historic data from wl.com

David did say that they *may* implement the WLL local API on the WLC, but not a murmur of it appearing yet. I think they have their hands full getting the console working properly first!