Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Upgrading from Cumulus 1 to MX

Discussion and questions about Cumulus weather station software version 1. This section is the main place to get help with Cumulus 1 software developed by Steve Loft that ceased development in November 2014.
StirlingScott
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Vue
Operating System: Mac OSX - Parallels Windows XP

Upgrading from Cumulus 1 to MX

Post by StirlingScott »

Hi all,

I've been running Cumulus 1 for 14 years at www.stirlingweather.co.uk and once set up and integrating with our website it has proven to be stable and reliable so overall its been good to leave it running all these past few years collecting all our weather data etc.

Long story short though, I need to seriously think about upgrading to MX. My wife and I are fine with designing websites and coding etc so we are confident about any upgrade from a website point of view but (I know I'm being lazy and should fully explore the forum posts) but is there a guide on here or wiki to the procedure about upgrading from 1 to MX, so that all our data is imported and we know we are doing things correctly with the upgrade procedure.

Setting up version 1 all those years ago and integrating the data files into our website was a task and a half, so that's the reason why we have been hesitant to upgrade, but I will need to do the upgrade sooner rather than later and I would like to refresh our website anyway, but I I'm just looking for some guidance and reassurance that I can preserve of past data etc before we undertake the task.

Many thanks

Scott
Last edited by StirlingScott on Fri 16 Jun 2023 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
rogerthn
Weather Station: Ecowitt GW1000/GW1003
Operating System: Raspberry Pi OS bullseye aarch64

Re: Upgrading from Cumulus 1 to MX

Post by rogerthn »

I did my upgrade to MX some years ago :lol:
One or more of those links might help :o
water01
Weather Station: Ecowitt HP2551
Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

Post by water01 »

https://www.cumuluswiki.org/a/Migrating ... us_1_to_MX

Once you have installed this tells you how to run the Wizard https://www.cumuluswiki.org/a/First_Run_of_MX

Follow the instructions logically and then run the Wizard to do the setup and finally set you start date to the original Cumulus 1 start date to pick up all the data you copied across.

CumulusMX maybe a bit more picky about the data in you dayfile.txt so you may have to edit it.

And last but not least, if you have any problems , just ask :D .
David
RayProudfoot
Weather Station: Davis VP2 with Daytime FARS
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Post by RayProudfoot »

@StirlingScott, I notice you’re still running XP, like me. CMX is not compatible with that OS so you would need to change to a more recent one.

I have to ask the question. If you’re happy with Cumulus 1 why the need to change? Unless you really need the extra info CMX gives it seems a curious decision.
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

StirlingScott
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Vue
Operating System: Mac OSX - Parallels Windows XP

Post by StirlingScott »

Thanks everyone for the replies so far.

Quick further question, in part to Ray's reply - does MX run on a Mac? - can I use MacOS as the computer software going forward when I upgrade to MX

Ray - I am happy with Cumulus 1 and still in that decision stage about whether to upgrade to MX or not, hence why I'm gathering info about the process etc, My hosting company have contacted me recently also about the PHP files used on version 1, saying that they are old and I need to upgrade them to a new secure coded version - which I think we can do by still keeping V1 but again that just added to my thinking about upgrading.
RayProudfoot

Post by RayProudfoot »

StirlingScott wrote: Fri 16 Jun 2023 12:13 pm
Ray - I am happy with Cumulus 1 and still in that decision stage about whether to upgrade to MX or not, hence why I'm gathering info about the process etc, My hosting company have contacted me recently also about the PHP files used on version 1, saying that they are old and I need to upgrade them to a new secure coded version - which I think we can do by still keeping V1 but again that just added to my thinking about upgrading.
Scott, I’m with HostPresto based in the south of England. No such request from them. If you feel you’re being forced to update rather than it being something desirable for CMX benefits then maybe consider a change of host.

Do PHP files constitute a security risk? I haven’t a clue.
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

PaulMy
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Plus 24-Hour FARS
Operating System: Windows8 and Windows10

Post by PaulMy »

Hi,
Quick further question, in part to Ray's reply - does MX run on a Mac? - can I use MacOS as the computer software going forward when I upgrade to MX
Yes.
My hosting company have contacted me recently also about the PHP files used on version 1
I don't think Cumulus 1, nor CumulusMX, uses PHP for any standard uploads. However both Cumulus' can process PHP, files using webtags, and upload, and looks like your site is a modified Cumulus template.
I am happy with Cumulus 1 and still in that decision stage about whether to upgrade to MX or not, hence why I'm gathering info about the process etc,
Ray's comment about XP for C1 is valid, but XP is considered out of date.
I still run C1 as I have an extra console and datalogger so continue with that, since 2008, and also WeatherlinkPC. But I have been using CMX since introduced by Steve, and have continued with all the updates and changes/additions by Mark. There are a number of differences and "improvements' in CMX - works with many more weather stations, including Davis WLL and AirLink, the gauges are built in rather than separate install, more charts/options, more data logged in monthly and dayfile files, more third-party weather services uploads, more upload options including PHP instead of FTP, and other options like growing degree, much easier to add Extra web files, custom files logging, etc...

By a temporary stop of CU1 you can try and run CMX using the CU1 data and Reports folders. I'd even try it with the same Cumulus.ini settings file (must be with capital C for Cumulus,ini)
Then run Mark's CreateMissing tool to add the extra data now in dayfile.txt to your current CU1 data.

Enjoy,
Paul
VP2+
C1 www.komokaweather.com/komokaweather-ca
MX https://komokaweather.com/cumulusmx/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX https://komokaweather.com/cumulusmxwll/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX https:// komokaweather.com/cumulusmx4/index.htm
Mapantz
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro2
Operating System: Windows 11 x64

Post by Mapantz »

RayProudfoot wrote: Fri 16 Jun 2023 12:27 pm Do PHP files constitute a security risk? I haven’t a clue.
Yes, the highest risk.
RayProudfoot

Post by RayProudfoot »

Mapantz wrote: Sat 17 Jun 2023 11:08 pm
Yes, the highest risk.
Just for displaying a banner? My hosting company hasn’t raised any concerns.
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

Mapantz
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro2
Operating System: Windows 11 x64

Post by Mapantz »

PHP in general is widely used for malicious practices. That's why web hosts like you to use newer versions of PHP, because older versions are likely to have vunerabilities.