Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Exchange protocole with 1080 weather station

Discussion specific to Fine Offset and similar rebadged weather stations
ChPr
Weather Station: 1080 or 1081
Operating System: Window 10 ; Ubuntu

Exchange protocole with 1080 weather station

Post by ChPr »

Hello everybody,

I have just bought a weather station from "Pearl" which must be a '1080' or '1081'.

I can see its information under Windows 10 with the 'EasyWeather' or 'Cumulus' software.

I would like to be able to see this information under Linux (Ubuntu).

A few years ago, I wrote a program in Object Pascal using Lazarus for a "La Crosse Technologie WS23xx" station. To do this, I used the exchange protocol between this station and a PC.

I'd like to do the same with my new station. The problem is that I don't know this station's exchange protocol at all.

I've found a source file https://github.com/jim-easterbrook/pywws that could give me this information, but unfortunately for me, it's written in 'Python'; a language I know absolutely nothing about.

What I'd like to know is:
  • Exchanges with the PC are made via a USB connection, but I don't think this is a protocol equivalent to a serial line (COM X) is this the case, Yes, No?
  • What information is exchanged to initialize the dialog? Does the station cyclically send its data without the PC program requesting it, or does the PC have to request this information? If so, what is this information? Is it a Vendor ID, a code, ...?

Thank you in advance for this information.

Best regards.

Pierre.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)
water01
Weather Station: Ecowitt HP2551
Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

Re: Exchange protocole with 1080 weather station

Post by water01 »

Why don't you just install CumululsMX on your Ubuntu computer plus Mono and run it as Program on the linux machine via USB?
David
ChPr

Post by ChPr »

water01 wrote: Thu 21 Sep 2023 11:56 am Why don't you just install CumululsMX on your Ubuntu computer plus Mono and run it as Program on the linux machine via USB?
It could be a solution, but it's for the pleasure of programming and to make an interface that corresponds specifically to my needs.

Best regards.

Pierre.
freddie
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2 + Ecowitt
Operating System: GNU/Linux Ubuntu 22.04 LXC

Post by freddie »

If programming is your thing then you could always look in the CumulusMX source code to see how it's done: https://github.com/cumulusmx
Freddie
ChPr

Post by ChPr »

freddie wrote: Fri 22 Sep 2023 7:39 am If programming is your thing then you could always look in the CumulusMX source code to see how it's done: https://github.com/cumulusmx
Thank you very much for all this code.

However, would it be possible to have a list of the files just needed to establish communication with the station, in order to extract a representative string of data?

Sincerely.

Pierre.