Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V4 release 4.0.0 (build 4022) - 11 May 2024

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Placing a webcam and other peoples' privacy

Hardware/software/hints and tips/discussion/webcam links etc
serowe
Weather Station: WM918
Operating System: Win Server 2008 R2

Re: Placing a webcam and other peoples' privacy

Post by serowe »

These (in my case) are specific outdoor camers and are NOT USB - they are powered with video and audio leads. One of the camera's is a dome type the other 2 are in waterproof aluminium casings. The latter 2 cost me aroiund $120 each at a local market (one stall handles nothing byut camera's and remote control helicopters (go figure why this combination!) and has a good range of day/night vision colour and B&W cameras available.

Personally I wouldn't attempt to use a USB camera outdoors - they are generally not designed for this type of use.

The benefit of having these cameras came last Thurs - a car drove up to the neighbours property (which is caught just on the edge of one of the front looking camera's) and 2 'men' got out and started walking around her place - spent around 5 monites out of view then came back, tried the side gate again and left. When the neighbour got home there was damage to the other side of the house where someone had tried to break in (this was 2pm in the afternoon btw - court was quiet, no cars, no one around). When I checked the camera video files the fools used my drive to turn around and then parked out front. They got out in plain sight of the camera and there were two very good images of them.

Long story - I gave her the video file on CD (date and time stamped) she went to Police and Sat morning they turned up to say the 2 'men' had been arrested over this and a number of other burglaries - the video gave them a licence number they hadn't been able to get before and the two facial images helped identify them.
Punctuation is the difference between 'Let's eat, grandma' and 'Let's eat grandma'
hills
Weather Station: Fine Offset WH1091
Operating System: Raspbian Buster

Re: Placing a webcam and other peoples' privacy

Post by hills »

Mine are just USB cameras but they are both in purpose built outdoor housings.

The one under the eaves is in this: http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.as ... BCATID=582

and the roof top is in this: http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.as ... BCATID=582

They've been up for several months now and so far so good - touch wood. ;)