Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V4 release 4.0.1 (build 4023) - 16 May 2024

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Upload stops

Talk about anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - PLEASE don't put Cumulus queries in here!
Stig
Weather Station: WMR928NX
Operating System: Windows 7

Upload stops

Post by Stig »

hi
after months with troublefree run, my upload stops almost every day, my browser freezes and I am not able to attend any website, my WU and PWS oploads continues, after closing down Cumulus and starting it again, everything is normal , I have tried to uninstall the Cumulus folder and reeinstalling, but with the same result, any clues?

Stig

http://www.hareskovvejr.dk
Last edited by daj on Mon 08 Mar 2010 10:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Moderator Edit - removed the file attachments as they contain passwords to W'Underground. Have sent copies to Steve for checking
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: Upload stops

Post by steve »

The only way I can think of that Cumulus could stop your browser working would be for uploads to repeatedly fail because of a problem at your ISP, and each time for a new connection to be made, gradually using up all of the available connections - I'm not sure what the limit is in Windows. That doesn't explain how your WU and PWS uploads could continue, though.

But there's no indication of any problem like that in the logs you uploaded.

Could you turn on ftp logging, and when it happens again, upload the ftp logs?

Could you also list the uploads that you are using - I can see you're using realtime ftp; are you using 'normal' ftp also?
Steve
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

steve wrote:..., gradually using up all of the available connections - I'm not sure what the limit is in Windows.
The default limit is two connections per server with IE7 or earlier and up to six with IE8 from the client - the WU and PWS are presumably using different servers.

Mark

PS: You can change the default up to a maximum of 16 in IE8
Last edited by mcrossley on Mon 08 Mar 2010 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

mcrossley wrote:The default limit is two connections per server with IE7 or earlier and up to six with IE8 from the client - the WU and PWS are presumably using different servers.
That's not really what I was thinking of; those are just self-imposed IE limits on the number of connections it uses to load a page, and can't be affected by Cumulus in any way.

What I'm thinking of is the maximum number of TCP/IP connections that Windows can make in total. If Cumulus could use all of those up somehow, and I'm just theorising as I have no idea if it's possible, then you wouldn't be able to connect to anywhere using a browser. But if Cumulus can continue to make connections to WU and PWS, that explanation doesn't seem to fit anyway. I just can't think of any other way that Cumulus could possibly stop a browser from working.
Steve
Gina
Weather Station: Nothing working ATM - making one
Operating System: OS X, Linux Mint, Win7 & XP

Post by Gina »

The web hosting company I use have a limit of 3 connections to each FTP account at a time. If FTP fails for some reason and the software keeps trying then all the account sessions will be used up (unless the previous session were closed). Alternatively, not closing the FTP session would cause the same "overload" to occur. Just a thought...
Last edited by Gina on Mon 08 Mar 2010 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gina

Sorry, no banner - weather station out of action. Hoping to be up and running with a new home-made one soon.
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

I don't know how Cumulus/Delphi? does it, but lots of other software piggybacks on the Windows (IE) HTTP 'engine'.
The destination host may also have a per client connection limit. - [Edit] Doh, Gina posted whilst I had the reply screen open!
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

mcrossley wrote:I don't know how Cumulus/Delphi? does it, but lots of other software piggybacks on the Windows (IE) HTTP 'engine'.
Cumulus uses a suite of internet components which implement all of the protocols themselves and drive winsock directly, so IE isn't involved at all.
Steve
keiththurman
Weather Station: 1090
Operating System: xp sp3

Post by keiththurman »

Hi

i have the same problem apart from the browser locking up, i think i have a problem with my computer but i lose connection temporarily with my network, cumulus web update then goes faded and unusable, if i restart cumulus though it doesn't grey out and i get the message ftp component not connected when i press it, my pws page at this point stops uploading temorarily but reinstates as soon as my computer reconnects to my network but cumulus has to be restarted again, sometimes i have to completely restart the computer for everything to work again, but it will only last a couple hours, anyone any suggestions.

thanks

Keith
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

Keith, it sounds like you have some sort of connectivity problem which causes Cumulus and/or the ftp component to get stuck in some way, waiting for a reply and not timing out. If you turn on the ftp log and debug log before the problem occurs, then maybe there will be a clue in there as to what the problem is. Are you using the latest version of Cumulus?
Steve
keiththurman
Weather Station: 1090
Operating System: xp sp3

Post by keiththurman »

steve, bug file attached hopefuly
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

keiththurman wrote:steve, bug file attached hopefuly
No. The forum doesn't allow some file extensions (but I thought I had enabled all the ones relevant to Cumulus). It's normally safest to zip them.
Steve
emsiwx
Weather Station: ClimeMET CM2000
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Post by emsiwx »

HI,

after changing to the newest release I have been experiencing FTP component not connected msg every single day.

Before no problem...

Has somt changed in the way Cumulus serves FTP con.?

Thanx very much.

EmsiWx
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

emsiwx wrote:after changing to the newest release I have been experiencing FTP component not connected msg every single day.

Before no problem...

Has somt changed in the way Cumulus serves FTP con.?
I don't think I have changed anything in 1.8.9. What version were you using before? What problems are you seeing - what files aren't getting uploaded?
Steve