Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Option to Change # of Recent Wind Samples?

Discussion and questions about Cumulus weather station software version 1. This section is the main place to get help with Cumulus 1 software developed by Steve Loft that ceased development in November 2014.
NorthNJwx
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2 & Vue
Operating System: Windows XP

Option to Change # of Recent Wind Samples?

Post by NorthNJwx »

Is there currently any way in Cumulus to change the number of recent wind samples saved by the software in order to generate averages/gusts?

I'm wondering because I am thinking about tinkering with the averaging interval. I do like the Cumulus default of 10 minutes for wind speed/direction averages and max gusts...I'm just curious as to what my data will look like using such intervals as 5 minutes, 15, 30, etc. for wind averaging.

I know I can toggle the archive interval between different amounts of time, but the wind averages will still be 10 minute values. For example, right now I have my archive interval set at 5 minutes, so using that interval with the 10-min wind averaging leads to overlap in the data. That's not a bad thing per se, but I guess it would just be interesting to see 5-min average data at a 5 minute interval, or 30-min average data at a 30 minute interval, etc.

Last spring I figured out the correct VP2SleepInterval value (1100) for VirtualVP users to get the correct number of obs per minute (30) in order to get a 10 minute average with the default 300 recent wind samples Cumulus 1.8.7 saves. So my question pertains to whether or not that 300 number can be changed - so, for example, if I want a 30 minute average, I could up it to 900 samples.

This is just for fun/experimental purposes for me as it would just be neat to see what an optimal interval would be for my station.

Slightly unrelated, but I was also wondering about a feature of Cumulus 1.8.8 - that the current wind speed, not average speed, is uploaded to Wunderground. I prefer to have the average speed updated as opposed to instantaneous, so if that is the case, I'll have to stick with 1.8.7.
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: Option to Change # of Recent Wind Samples?

Post by steve »

You can set the wind speed averaging period by setting "AvgSpeedMinutes=N" in the [Station] section in cumulus.ini, and similarly, you can get Cumulus to send the average speed to Wunderground by setting "SendAverage=1" in the [Wunderground] section.

You'll need to install 1.8.9 to use these, though.
Steve
NorthNJwx
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2 & Vue
Operating System: Windows XP

Post by NorthNJwx »

steve wrote:You can set the wind speed averaging period by setting "AvgSpeedMinutes=N" in the [Station] section in cumulus.ini, and similarly, you can get Cumulus to send the average speed to Wunderground by setting "SendAverage=1" in the [Wunderground] section.

You'll need to install 1.8.9 to use these, though.
Will do & sounds excellent; thanks for the info.

EDIT: Went and got the latest build of Cumulus 1.8.9; the "SendAverage" line was there in the [Wunderground] section and I set it to 1, but the "AvgSpeedMinutes=N" line didn't exist under [Station]; should I just add that line in manually?
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

NorthNJwx wrote:EDIT: Went and got the latest build of Cumulus 1.8.9; the "SendAverage" line was there in the [Wunderground] section and I set it to 1, but the "AvgSpeedMinutes=N" line didn't exist under [Station]; should I just add that line in manually?
Yes - none of the 'ini file only' configuration settings are created by default, they have to be added. The Wunderground one is there because I'd forgotten that you can actually set that from the internet settings screen!
Steve