Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V4 release 4.0.0 (build 4022) - 11 May 2024

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Watson W-8681

Talk about the weather
apenwith
Weather Station: w8681 BlakeLarsen Sun Recorder
Operating System: Windows 7 SP1

Re: Watson W-8681

Post by apenwith »

Hi
If you want a general view of the plant pot saucer screen look at my Sunshine Recorder thread
as there's a picture of my mast showing it,
Regards
Alan
G8AWO
Weather Station: W 8681

Post by G8AWO »

A big problem is the fact the stephenson screen really needs to be white to reflect the suns UV radiation....
Allways in the mire only the depth varies
starman316
Weather Station: Oregon Scientific WMR88
Operating System: Windows 7 X64

Post by starman316 »

Thanks for the reply guys, Still not able to find a good screenshot of the plantpot modification.

I did however, have one plantpot lid that i did put on the sensor over the existing shield, at the bottom of the sensor,
as i noticed the actual bottom of the temperature sensor was slightly exposed, this seems to have worked, i have not seen abnormal temps lately, i have been comparing temps with another local personal station (davis)<< I want one of those hehehe<<<
and they have been within the norms

I do have some work to do at the moment, of putting the sensors above the roof as i get misled info with wind direction, ie reflection off the roof to the west

Ill let you guys know how i get on in due course thanks again

I now use cumulus :)

my weather station link
http://www.geocities.com/gb3yl/index.htm

cheers all
Lee Lewis
http://www.thetrekbuddies.co.uk
http://www.eastcoastweather.co.uk
WX Oregon Scientific WMR88
Weatherunderground IENGLAND487
mentero
Weather Station: Fine Offset

Post by mentero »

starman316 wrote:Thanks for the reply guys, Still not able to find a good screenshot of the plantpot modification.
Hi starman, maybe this link can bring some inspiration. In spanish, but plenty of photos.

http://foro.meteored.com/tecnica+instru ... 364.0.html

(Edited: for some reason or another I can only see the photos of the shelter with IE, but not with Mozilla. Go figure.)

Miguel mentero
gwheelo
Weather Station: WMR-88
Operating System: Windows 8.1

Post by gwheelo »

The shield designs all look great - but they all appear to take a lot more work than my home brew. It is just a simple wood frame dimensioned to fit five simple stamped aluminum vent covers. You know the type that are available at your local DIY, Bricolage, Ferreteria, Bauhaus - what ever you call it where you live. They are designed to keep the birds and mice out of your air vents and they are cheaper than plastic pot saucers. This is designed for my Oregon sensor - painted white and sited in almost constant shade, about 2.2 meters off the ground, and shielded from the prevailing and dominant winds. It does look a bit old fashion and that is where I got the idea. It took an hour to build and then time for two coats of white paint. Notice beside the four side vents the bottom is wide open and the top liberally vented. Works for me.

GW
IMG_0293_web.jpg
IMG_0294_web.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

gwheelo wrote:Notice beside the four side vents the bottom is wide open and the top liberally vented. Works for me.
Looks good, George, and similar to the one I built some years ago for my WMR928 sensor, except that I used an old wooden louvre door, and yours is far nicer than mine was.

Strictly speaking, a screen shouldn't be open at the bottom, to avoid ground radiation, but if yours works for you, then who am I to quibble?
Steve
gwheelo
Weather Station: WMR-88
Operating System: Windows 8.1

Post by gwheelo »

Well then - I will close the bottom - that should take about five minutes!
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

gwheelo wrote:Well then - I will close the bottom - that should take about five minutes!
Don't blame me when it starts over-reading ;)
Steve
mentero
Weather Station: Fine Offset

Post by mentero »

Hi Gwheelo,

this is the simplest stevenson screen I have ever seen. Brilliant, I love it.

Miguel mentero