Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V4 release 4.0.1 (build 4023) - 16 May 2024

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Webcam .... Advice and Recommendations

Hardware/software/hints and tips/discussion/webcam links etc
hills
Weather Station: Fine Offset WH1091
Operating System: Raspbian Buster

Re: Webcam .... Advice and Recommendations

Post by hills »

If you're only using microsoft lifecam at this point, on the right hand side of the viewer there is a blue arrow half way down the right edge. Click on that and it brings up the dashboard. At the top there is a cog to enter the setting screen. Then in the "Image adjustments" window there is a "properties" button. Press that and a window will pop up, which is the same window yawcam uses. Select the second tab "camera control" and take the tick off the box on the focus line. I have left my focus at 15.
geoffw
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Vue
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by geoffw »

Thanks Phil

Mine had defaulted to TrueColor ...... I had to turn that off to reveal the controls!

Geoff
Geoff
Gina
Weather Station: Nothing working ATM - making one
Operating System: OS X, Linux Mint, Win7 & XP

Post by Gina »

hills wrote:If you're only using microsoft lifecam at this point, on the right hand side of the viewer there is a blue arrow half way down the right edge. Click on that and it brings up the dashboard. At the top there is a cog to enter the setting screen. Then in the "Image adjustments" window there is a "properties" button. Press that and a window will pop up, which is the same window yawcam uses. Select the second tab "camera control" and take the tick off the box on the focus line. I have left my focus at 15.
When I'm running Yawcam the MS software won't run - it says another application is using the webcam.

Going back to Yawcam camera settings - I set the brightness right down to 30 and it still won't resolve the sky - bits of blue plus white and grey clouds. In fact anything below 100 doesn't do anything.
Gina

Sorry, no banner - weather station out of action. Hoping to be up and running with a new home-made one soon.
geoffw

Post by geoffw »

Gina,

Do you have the smae problem if you set the camera to TrueColor ?
Geoff
Gina

Post by Gina »

geoffw wrote:Gina,

Do you have the smae problem if you set the camera to TrueColor ?
I had to turn off TrueColor to get it to work.
Gina

Sorry, no banner - weather station out of action. Hoping to be up and running with a new home-made one soon.
geoffw

Post by geoffw »

Half an hour weather over Pembrokeshire with my new webcam ..... now to get it linked to my website and to Cumulus

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZJlZVe2Fqo
Geoff
Gina

Post by Gina »

geoffw wrote:Half an hour weather over Pembrokeshire with my new webcam ..... now to get it linked to my website and to Cumulus

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZJlZVe2Fqo
Very good Geoff :)
Gina

hills

Post by hills »

Gina wrote:When I'm running Yawcam the MS software won't run - it says another application is using the webcam.
Same here, I turned yawcam off to look at the MS software.
Gina wrote:Going back to Yawcam camera settings - I set the brightness right down to 30 and it still won't resolve the sky - bits of blue plus white and grey clouds. In fact anything below 100 doesn't do anything.
I'll try that on mine when and let you know what happens, but I'll have to wait until I'm at home during daylight. There's too much glare to try now.

EDIT: I just had a real quick look at it before going to work. Exposure seems to make the most profound difference to the image. I'll post some pictures I captured tonight.
Gina

Post by Gina »

Brightness worked fine from the MS software this evening with the webcam looking indoors but it didn't with Yawcam looking out of the window in daylight. The backlight compensation control also worked well with the MS software. The cam was pointing towards the TV which was on and the picture was almost washed out - the BC varied the room brightness without affecting the TV image, brightening the room part as it was turned up. I'll experiment more tomorrow in daylight with the MS software. Incidentally, the reason I didn't get the camera controls was because I had Truecolour on. That has to be off to access the "Advanced" camera controls.

BTW - I've set the scheduler to stop at 2200 (soon after dark) and on at 0400 (just before dawn) - for both file and FTP.
Gina

hills

Post by hills »

Oops I've obviously left my webcam in a bad state, my pictures are completely white now. I must have left auto exposure off. :bash:
gemini06720
Weather Station: No weather station
Operating System: No operating system

Post by gemini06720 »

geoffw wrote:Half an hour weather over Pembrokeshire with my new webcam ..... now to get it linked to my website and to Cumulus
Geoff, how about 7 days (1 day at the time) of weather over Mount-Maple, Maple Bay, Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada... ;) [link removed]
Last edited by gemini06720 on Wed 22 May 2013 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

I think I'm going to create a separate section for webcams (and move the threads over). There's a lot of discussion going on - and I'm completely happy with this - and I think you webcamsters deserve your own section. I plan to become one again myself eventually! Good idea?
Steve
hills

Post by hills »

I think that's a great idea, can we also have a sticky where we all put the URLs to our webcams in the one thread similar to the banner sticky? :D
Gina

Post by Gina »

Great idea Steve - thank you :)
Gina

captzero
Weather Station: Vantage Pro2 w/ daytime FARS

Post by captzero »

Very good idea. I have been lurking around and following the various webcam topics with interest over the last few weeks and have learned heaps. Still there is more I'd like to do and will follow with interest. I'd like to see each 'cammer' display their best (or worst) pics (sunsets or clouds or magpies :lol: or bugs on lenses etc).
Last edited by captzero on Sat 19 Jan 2013 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.