Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V4 release 4.0.1 (build 4023) - 16 May 2024

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

How weird can this get??

Discussion and questions about Cumulus weather station software version 1. This section is the main place to get help with Cumulus 1 software developed by Steve Loft that ceased development in November 2014.
IT Farmer
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro2, Boltek

How weird can this get??

Post by IT Farmer »

Before we go into detail, I like to point out that weather software should be exactly that, some applications want to be the "be and end" all for everything.

But I like to fire up an idea and lets see where this goes:

Assumption:
- people using this application are obvious interested in the weather, they might also be interested in other related "gadgets" such as monitoring house power consumption, if on water tanks water usage, lightening etc.

Idea:
How modulair is cumulus, would it be an idea to have the following modules:
- Weather, as cumulus is now
- Lightening, for example I have a boltek, would be nice to have that integrated into cumulus
- House power consumption, gadgets like TED are coming onto the market.
- Watertank usage, currently I monitor the level of water in my tanks (that is the only water supply i have).
- Solar/Wind power production, I use a plasmatronic for that at the moment but when my solar system is installed that one will be replaced by a sunnyboy.

You see a lot of gadgets are able to talk to a PC, I have a LOT of them :-).

I figured if cumulus can have those different modules than who ever wants it can either enable/disable that.

Unfortunately, my coding qualities are equivalent to a 2 year old so I have no hope to get this done myself, hence I fire up the idea here and see what comes out of it.

Henk.
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: How weird can this get??

Post by steve »

Perhaps one solution to this is separate applications communicating using something like xAP?

Steve
IT Farmer

Post by IT Farmer »

steve wrote:Perhaps one solution to this is separate applications communicating using something like xAP?

Steve

Could be, at the moment they all write out to a text file, comma delimited.

H.
dc1500
Weather Station: Watson W-8681 (Fine Offset type)
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by dc1500 »

This is meant to be light hearted but Steve could add a flight simulator! I was under the impression his hobby was weather and the software was written for weather stations. If it can do other stuff, great, but I would imagine Steve can only do so much for free in his spare time.
Dave
IT Farmer

Post by IT Farmer »

dc1500 wrote:This is meant to be light hearted but Steve could add a flight simulator! I was under the impression his hobby was weather and the software was written for weather stations. If it can do other stuff, great, but I would imagine Steve can only do so much for free in his spare time.
Dave
Exactly hence the title "How weird can this get"

and my first line in the post.

I do not want to turn a weather application into a "carbon footprint monitor thingy", and for sure I would not like to see it turning into WD.

But I like to see some different opinions.
What steve can and can't do, is entire up to him.

H.