Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Exception error in Cumulus 1.9.1 (955)

Please discuss beta versions of Cumulus 1 here. Note: There are currently no beta versions of Cumulus 1.
tjaliwalpa
Weather Station: Davis VP2
Operating System: Linux Lite Ubuntu 16.04

Exception error in Cumulus 1.9.1 (955)

Post by tjaliwalpa »

Since installing build 955 I am getting this error message over and over again during an upload. If I close Cumulus and restart, everything returns to normal again. Sometimes Cumulus will run OK for hours and then, the error message will reappear.

Bob
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bob
daj
Weather Station: WH1081
Operating System: Pi & MX

Re: Exception error in Cumulus 1.9.1 (955)

Post by daj »

What folder is Cumulus installed in?

Seems odd that it wants to create a file in the Windows system folder!!

Other things.....Are you accidentally running two copies of Cumulus? Do you have virus scanning software running that may be opening the file.
David
kippfordweather.uk
Cumulus MX & Raspberry Pi
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

How are you starting Cumulus? It looks like you're using a shortcut that doesn't set the working directory correctly (i.e. one that you've created yourself, rather than the one that the Cumulus installer creates).
Steve
tjaliwalpa

Post by tjaliwalpa »

daj wrote:What folder is Cumulus installed in?

Seems odd that it wants to create a file in the Windows system folder!
Yes, I thought that was odd to. I have Cumulus running in E:\Cumulus
daj wrote:Other things.....Are you accidentally running two copies of Cumulus? Do you have virus scanning software running that may be opening the file!
Definitely not running 2 copies of Cumulus as I have the option selected to ensure this does not happen. Yes, there is virus software, but that has never caused a problem with previous versions.

Bob
Bob
tjaliwalpa

Post by tjaliwalpa »

steve wrote:How are you starting Cumulus? It looks like you're using a shortcut that doesn't set the working directory correctly (i.e. one that you've created yourself, rather than the one that the Cumulus installer creates).
I either start Cumulus from the desktop shortcut or as a scheduled task on Windows startup, as I have Windows restarting 3 times a day (to overcome an issue with losing my Internet connection if the computer runs for more than 12 hours). I guess then the shortcut may be an issue as it was not created by Cumulus. However, this was not an issue previously, only with build 955.

Bob
Bob
daj
Weather Station: WH1081
Operating System: Pi & MX

Post by daj »

Right click on the shortcut and check Properties and the"Start In" folder is set to E:\Cumulus. Same with the properties in the Scheduled Tasks -- make sure Start In is set
David
kippfordweather.uk
Cumulus MX & Raspberry Pi
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

I've added code to manually insert extra lines in the ftp log (now that I've found out how to do it), but it's clearly doing it unconditionally, when ftp logging is turned off. You would have hit the same problem if you had ever needed to turn on ftp logging; and it may cause other problems too.

I'll change it so it doesn't add the extra lines if logging is turned off.
Steve
tjaliwalpa

Post by tjaliwalpa »

daj wrote:Right click on the shortcut and check Properties and the"Start In" folder is set to E:\Cumulus. Same with the properties in the Scheduled Tasks -- make sure Start In is set
I've checked all that David and all seems in order.

Bob
Bob
tjaliwalpa

Post by tjaliwalpa »

steve wrote:I've added code to manually insert extra lines in the ftp log (now that I've found out how to do it), but it's clearly doing it unconditionally, when ftp logging is turned off. You would have hit the same problem if you had ever needed to turn on ftp logging; and it may cause other problems too.

I'll change it so it doesn't add the extra lines if logging is turned off.
Are you sure that is the issue here? It is strange that it doesn't always happen, and when it does, it occurs at the end of the download. When the error window is closed, the message on the status bar progresses from Uploading to Logging Off.

Bob
Bob
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

tjaliwalpa wrote:Are you sure that is the issue here?
Well, no, because for some reason the new exception handler that I'm trialling doesn't seem to have handled the exception, so I can't see the stack. But: the error message mentions being unable to access ftplog.txt, and it should be trying to create that in the Cumulus folder, so that points to the working directory not being set up; and the code I've added will definitely be trying to write to the ftplog.txt file even though ftp logging isn't turned on.
Steve
tjaliwalpa

Post by tjaliwalpa »

Haven't had any exception errors today, but can report that as Steve has said, the ftplog is written to regardless of whether or not ftp logging is selected in Cumulus or not.

Bob
Bob