Sandaysoft

Support forum for Cumulus weather station software
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:23 am
Please click here before posting. Help me to help you!
Useful Links: Cumulus FAQ • Enhancement requests • Wiki (documentation) • Downloads
Please put your approximate location into your profile • Add your personal web site to the Cumulus user map
Read the Announcements and News section regularly!
Do not allow your PC to go into standby mode while Cumulus is running - read the readme.txt!
If you find Cumulus useful, please make a donation -

All times are UTC

Post subject: Measuring Snow
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:11 am 

Weather Station: 1wire-Cumulus & Fine Offset
Operating System: Windows 7
We are rapidly approaching the time when my rain guage turns into a block of ice for about 4 or 5 months, and it's a lot more interesting to measure snow fall. So, any ideas on how to do that?

I've toyed with the idea of something like a traditional rain guage - I can come up with a way to measure how high the snow is inside, but it would need to be emptied every day. And of course snow blows around, unlike rain that tends to stay in the same place once it's down... And it packs, melts and otherwise changes volume over time!

Maybe I should just go for total depth on the ground on an hourly basis, and let the value go up and down over the season. It would then be easy to calculate not only snow falls, but also the melt rate when spring comes.

Thoughts? Comments?

Post subject: Re: Measuring Snow
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:25 am 

Weather Station: FO WH1081PC (Maplin)
Operating System: OS X, Linux Mint, Win7 & XP
I'm planning to make up a heater for my rain gauge and melt any snow or ice but I don't think that would suit you. More suitable might be a graduated pole stuck in the ground - it could be marked in feet and inches or whatever units you use. You might want several as snow varies in depth as it's blown around. I can't think of any automatic way of measuring snow depth though there may well be such things.

Sorry, no banner - weather station out of action. Hoping to be up and running with a new home-made one soon.