Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V4 release 4.0.0 (build 4022) - 11 May 2024

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Build 993 WMR100 Support

Please discuss beta versions of Cumulus 1 here. Note: There are currently no beta versions of Cumulus 1.
DigbyDave
Weather Station: Vantage Pro 2
Operating System: XP SP3

Build 993 WMR100 Support

Post by DigbyDave »

Steve,

Just tested Build 993 with WMR100N support. Here are my initial findings.

1. Must toggle Station type away from and back to WMR100 to initialise communication after restart of Cumulus.
2. Wind speed and direction working.
3. Pressure seems to be working, has a value anyway.
4. External Temp, NOT working.
5. Internal Temp, NOT working.

I do not have any additional sensors, these are the standard sensor pack.

Very good first attempt, am impressed.. I have attached the debug log to help your analysis. :clap:

I'll keep it running in parallel with my other Cumulus just to check pressure change etc and inform you of any other observations.
debug.zip
cumulus Diag.zip
Regards

Dave
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dave

Braitling, NT, Australia
INTBRAIT2
DigbyDave

Re: Build 993 WMR100 Support

Post by DigbyDave »

Steve,

I forgot Humidity.

5. Humidity internal NOT working.
6. Humidity external NOT working.

:bash:

Regards

Dave
Dave

Braitling, NT, Australia
INTBRAIT2
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

DigbyDave wrote:1. Must toggle Station type away from and back to WMR100 to initialise communication after restart of Cumulus.
Thanks; I see what the problem is. As a somewhat non-intuitive work around, try setting the COM port to 1. This bug will also affect WMR200 users, and the same work around should work.

I'll fix this and have a look at the other problems you've found - thanks.
Steve
DigbyDave

Post by DigbyDave »

Steve,

Can confirm that changing to COM 1 did resolve the initialisation problem.
Dave

Braitling, NT, Australia
INTBRAIT2
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

Thanks - I've just uploaded build 994, which hopefully fixes the problems you've found so far.
Steve
DigbyDave

Post by DigbyDave »

Steve,

We have temps and humidity. I didn't mention rainfall before, but on first start it did include the accumulated rainfall from the console, so my guess is that that is working also.

Very well done. :lol:

will keep an eye on it for a few days and inform you of any further issues. Then go live with this version

Regs
Dave

Braitling, NT, Australia
INTBRAIT2
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

DigbyDave wrote:I didn't mention rainfall before, but on first start it did include the accumulated rainfall from the console
Ah - all in one go, the whole lot displayed as today's total? That sometimes does seem to happen on first run, whatever the station, even though I have code in to detect the first run and start from zero. I think sometimes something happens on the first run to make it think it has had a valid reading of zero, so when it gets the correct reading it counts it all as new rain; a bit dumb, really.
Steve
bigmac
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Wireless
Operating System: Raspbian wheezy

Post by bigmac »

Hi Steve,

Can confirm had the same problem as DigbyDave where the console was not being read after the initial download, but changing COM port seemed to cure it. I thought it hadn't at first as there is a delay of around a minute before temps start populating but i'm guessing that's to do with logging intervals. Haven't had chance to check anything else in great detail yet.

Great work nontheless, i've been patiently waiting 2 years to get some decent weather software for the WMR200!! Looks like the wait was worth it.
DigbyDave

Post by DigbyDave »

Steve,

There may be a problem with the forecast. With the setting "Cumulus Forecast" enabled or disabled, main screen and web tags just state "Forecast: Not available"

Other than that, nothing further to report yet.
Dave

Braitling, NT, Australia
INTBRAIT2
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

DigbyDave wrote:There may be a problem with the forecast. With the setting "Cumulus Forecast" enabled or disabled, main screen and web tags just state "Forecast: Not available"
Yes, I haven't done that bit yet :lol:
Steve
DigbyDave

Post by DigbyDave »

Sorry,

I guess that may be why the Pressure trend doesn't match either. Main screen heading disappears as well, I started the screen cap before your last message.

On a tangent, have there been many requests for an option of pressure in QNH? Seems to be the more commonly quoted pressure in OZ and updated in real time on most official weather sites. MSLP is only calculated and quoted by the Bureau or Met every 3 hours. I know you already calculate it for the CWOP upload, do you read QFE from the console or just it's stated SLP?
994-993.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dave

Braitling, NT, Australia
INTBRAIT2
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

DigbyDave wrote:I guess that may be why the Pressure trend doesn't match either.
I'm not currently reading the pressure trend from the station, so only the Cumulus option will work just now.
Main screen heading disappears as well
I don't understand why that would happen, the code for that is nothing to do with the station type. Are you saying it was OK in 993 but not 994?
On a tangent, have there been many requests for an option of pressure in QNH?

For WMR stations, QNH is the same as SLP; it only applies a correction based on altitude. The only stations I'm aware of that calculate true SLP are the Davis ones, so those are the only ones that I have to take specific action for CWOP.
do you read QFE from the console or just it's stated SLP?
Only SLP; I'm ignoring the station pressure (QFE) as there's nothing I need it for.
Steve
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

steve wrote:I'm not currently reading the pressure trend from the station, so only the Cumulus option will work just now.
Actually, it looks like the station doesn't give me pressure trends, so I'll change the code to always use the Cumulus ones.
Steve
DigbyDave

Post by DigbyDave »

steve wrote:I'm not currently reading the pressure trend from the station, so only the Cumulus option will work just now.
That is how I normally run Cumulus and how it is currently set, but it is not generating a forecast.
steve wrote:For WMR stations, QNH is the same as SLP; it only applies a correction based on altitude.
I think I disagree on that one. If I take the QFE from the console, and use the standard formula to calculate QNH then I get the following, which is very close to the nearest airport QNH (1024.6). But the console displays 1021 as the sudo SLP. Some other forums have speculated that the WMR uses the console temp in it's calculation of SLP and not external temp and then they can get close to working out how the WMR gets it's result.
Screenshot.png
Dave

Braitling, NT, Australia
INTBRAIT2
DigbyDave

Post by DigbyDave »

As for the disappearing title, I have tried restarting both 993 and 994. 994 is missing the header, 993 is not.
Dave

Braitling, NT, Australia
INTBRAIT2