Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

High winds affecting rain gauge.

Discussion specific to Fine Offset and similar rebadged weather stations
dionaea
Weather Station: WH1080 / Watson8681

High winds affecting rain gauge.

Post by dionaea »

During the last couple of days & particularly yesterday 11/01/'09 we had high winds but no rain. My Rain gauge indicated over 8mm of rain. I can only assume that the wind affected the tipping mechanism, clocking up "rainfall". Has anyone else had this problem & if so, does anyone have any ideas as to how to overcome it without compromising real rainfall. I have done a manual adjustment for yesterday but this will be more difficult on days like today when it is very windy & also raining. My Weather station is a WH 1080.

Cheers,

Chris
beteljuice
Weather Station: None !
Operating System: W10 - Threadripper 16core, etc

Re: High winds affecting rain gauge.

Post by beteljuice »

Strictly speaking the rain guage should be fixed to a solid, level, flat surface in an open area (clear of being 'shadowed', and away from any drips / falling leaves), and should be 50cm + off the ground to avoid any mud splatter.

On a mast it waves about causing the 'see-saw' mechanism to operate, plus - sooner or later, you will have to take it apart and unblock the funnel and clean the 'spoons' !

BTW, the thermometer unit should be about 160cm above grass :D
......................Imagine, what you will KNOW tomorrow !
dionaea

Post by dionaea »

It is firmly fixed & not on a pole.

Cheers,
Chris
Sadgit
Weather Station: Vantage Vue
Operating System: Windows 7

Post by Sadgit »

Can wind get under the rain gauge? I had this problem but not since I have screwed it to my garage roof, even during the winds at the weekend..
goldrush
Weather Station: Fine Offset WH1081

Post by goldrush »

This is a common problem with all tipping rain gauges, possibly more so with the Fine Offeset version. I had the same problem with both my LaCrosse and Fine Offset, when they were rigidly fixed towards the top of a 10foot 1.5in ali pole. The vibrations of the pole were enough. Cured by simply lowering the rain gauge down the pole to around 3feet off ground, but as betlejuice says, best to be rigidly mounted on a flat level surface where the wind cannot enter from below.
dionaea

Post by dionaea »

Thanks for that. I think I will try to largely seal off the base allowing only a small exit for the water.

Many thanks,

Chris
harrym1byt
Weather Station: WH 1081 (EasyWeather type)
Operating System: Win10

Post by harrym1byt »

dionaea wrote:Thanks for that. I think I will try to largely seal off the base allowing only a small exit for the water.
Doing that is not advisable. A small exit for the water could become blocked, then your gauge fills up with water.
philcdav
Weather Station: MyDEL WX2008 Mk2 Fine Offset
Operating System: XP and W7

Post by philcdav »

Hi guys. i seem to have fixed a couple of issues like spiders/wind effecting the rain gauge by fixing a small scrap of cloth mesh over the underside hole. its muslin, as used in card crafting and cost < 1 penny !! plus a dab of blue-tack haha.

regards - phil
Phil - G0DOR
Jonsey
Weather Station: Fine Offset WH1081
Operating System: Shuttle Xpc SK41, XP Pro SP3

Post by Jonsey »

I had this problem with the wind giving me a false rain reading, so in the end I just removed the rain sensor from the pole and screwed it onto the end of my shed, up near the apex of the roof on the facia board. Seems to have done the trick.

Dave
dionaea

Post by dionaea »

Hi all,
Many thanks for the suggestions - as the gauge is fixed firmly to a brick wall (at the top) & not attached to a pole I have to conclude that turbulence is the main factor causing the rocker to move. I have therefore attached part of a polythene bag round the base of the unit & nicked several tiny holes into it for drainage. We had fairly high winds since the attachment (4.00 pm Saturday) & some fairly high gusts & the rain gauge has not tripped. I intend to try to produce a more permanent fixture in the future but will monitor it for a while. Thanks to all who took time to offer advice.

Many thanks,
Chris