Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4021) - 04 May 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Help for newbie please

Discussion specific to Fine Offset and similar rebadged weather stations
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Re: Help for newbie please

Post by mcrossley »

The FO has been known to be a bit out, but with that discrepancy I'd check your beaker. My 'manual' rain gauge is a 6" funnel on top of a collection vessel. I calculated the catchment area, then worked out how much 1mm of rain would weigh (area in cm² * 0.1). Now all I have to do it weigh the water on a scale (which reads to 1g which is good enough) to get a fairly accurate rainfall measurement. The correlation between this gauge and my (calibrated with bigger catchment area) FO rain gauge is normally much better than 5%.
AllyCat
Weather Station: Fine Offset 1080/1 & 3080
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Post by AllyCat »

Syd wrote:A few hours ago we had a thunderstorm .... the WH1081 recorded 12.3 mm, whereas the old gauge measured 20 mm.
Hi Syd,

A number of users have suggested that the FO gauge under-reads somewhat, but that it was a thunderstorm might be significant. The FO gauge has a very shallow collecting "funnel" which may cause "splash out" in heavy rain. There are a number of threads on this forum describing improvements to the FO rain gauge, either adding a steeper-sided funnel or "walls" at the top.

Cheers, Alan.
metroman

Post by metroman »

Hi,
When I open Cumulus, I get the message downloading data, but after a while nothing happens and no data is downloaded. it has been working okay with no problems. The actual weather station console is operating okay. Anyone know what is wrong? thanks
Martin
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

metroman wrote:Hi,
When I open Cumulus, I get the message downloading data, but after a while nothing happens and no data is downloaded. it has been working okay with no problems. The actual weather station console is operating okay. Anyone know what is wrong? thanks
Martin
The station probably needs resetting, but if you zip up the diags folder and attach it, I can have a look to see what's going on.

It would be really good from my point of view if people stopped tacking all of their issues on to this thread!
Steve
metroman

Post by metroman »

How do I reset the station?
Martin
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

metroman wrote:How do I reset the station?
Martin
Remove the power - batteries and USB cable.
Steve
metroman

Post by metroman »

Thanks Steve, just did that, working okay now.
Martin
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

Martin, looking back through the thread, I see you bought your station from Clas Ohlsen. Could you please zip up the diags folder and attach it, so I can confirm that you had the usual lock up. If the stations from Clas Ohlsen exhibit this problem, it's worth me buying one with their current offer, so I can see it for myself.
Steve
metroman

Post by metroman »

Steve,
Diags folder attched, but
Diags.zip
somehow, I seem to have lost some data??
Martin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Syd
Weather Station: Fine Offset WH 1081
Operating System: Windows XP

Post by Syd »

Thanks for the replies, it all seems to be a bit of a minefield!

Syd
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

metroman wrote:Diags folder attched,
It was indeed the usual problem, the station didn't respond to requests for data.
somehow, I seem to have lost some data??
According to the diags files, before today you last ran Cumulus in February, so that's not surprising. Plus the fact that resetting the station clears the memory - you appear to have had a few entries at the end of the memory, but those don't look valid anyway.
Steve
metroman

Post by metroman »

Thanks Steve,
I have had the weather station set up since January, but when I checked after I lost data, I had cumulus installed in a different directory. i have now started from scratch. Upto the heavy rain we had here in the North East on Thursday, everything was working okay.
Martin
metroman

Post by metroman »

Hi,
Having a couple of problems with my wx station. I have had to change the batteries in the outside sensor. I reset the indoor station by taking out the batteries for a few seconds and then I replaced them. After a while, all the readings began to show on the display, so I started Cumulus. The station started receiving data okay. I looked at the pc later, and there was a lost contact error showing. I checked the outside sensorremoved the batteries, and then replaced them, the red indicator came on for about 4secs as it should, but then it came on again and is now flashing all the time. Anyone any ideas as to what is wrong thanks.
Martin
metroman

Post by metroman »

Hi,
Station seems to be working okay now.
Martin
metroman

Post by metroman »

Getting the same errors as before now. Reset the station, replaced the batteries in the station, still showing lost contact error. the last few months the station has been working okay, but lateley it has been acting up, if it carries on acting up, it will be going on ebay!!!!!
Martin.