Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

FTP 426, 500 and 503 errors.

Talk about anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - PLEASE don't put Cumulus queries in here!
nking
Weather Station: W-8681
Operating System: Windows 10

FTP 426, 500 and 503 errors.

Post by nking »

My old hosting service was taken over by 123-reg but after they moved me onto a "better server/service :roll: " last December I've been having a large number of FTP errors. I've had various replies mostly of the type to fob me off or to accuse me of violating their usage i.e. Please note that your issue is related to the fact that the use of web cam applications that maintain a constant FTP connection uploading an image at regular intervals is forbidden." I pointed out to them that I don't maintain a constant connection so after 3 months I've finally got a sensible reply:

Thank you for contacting 123-reg on the 1st March 2012.

Here is what our engineers have advised:

"The logs show the customer is disconnecting, but reconnecting almost immediately, depending on how their software works if one transfer takes slightly longer than expected they could be attempting to make too many simultaneous connections - especially if the webcam software is running too (this doesn't appear to be running at the moment).
The limit is 5 connections, but with a 10 minute timeout for connections not disconnected possibly and 2 pieces of software making connections every 5 minutes it would be entirely possible for this limit to be exceeded."

I have mentioned this in case it helps anyone else in the future. I have asked 123-reg how their new service differs from my old server as I had no problems then, I'll let you know what I find out....... it may take a few months though :lol:
Last edited by nking on Sun 04 Mar 2012 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: FTP 423, 500 and 503 errors.

Post by steve »

Neil, assuming you have realtime enabled in Cumulus, that maintains a constant connection. If you use the RTdisconnectcount setting in cumulus.ini, it periodically disconnects, but will reconnect on the next realtime upload.
Steve
nking

Post by nking »

steve wrote:Neil, assuming you have realtime enabled in Cumulus, that maintains a constant connection. If you use the RTdisconnectcount setting in cumulus.ini, it periodically disconnects, but will reconnect on the next realtime upload.
Hi Steve,

Yes I do use realtime and did wonder if this might contribute to the problem (even though I didn't have any problems before the move!). I'm not familiar with the RTdisconnectcount setting, I must have missed this one. I will add this, is a count of 1 likely to cause any problems for Cumulus?

Many thanks
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

I've suggested using a count of 1 in the past to people who wanted to make it connect/upload/disconnect for every realtime upload, and I don't remember anyone saying they had problems.
Steve
nking

Re: FTP 426, 500 and 503 errors.

Post by nking »

I made the change to RTdisconnectcount=1 and restarted Cumulus but today I have already logged 426 and 500 errors. I have advised 123-reg but fear their response will again be "Sorry for any inconvenience" :evil:. It will probably end up with me either lumping it or going elsewhere. It's annoying when you're told "We’re upgrading your hosting – just sit back and enjoy" :roll: , since this upgrade Toolbox ftp won't work, YawCam FTP disconnects frequently (much more than it used to) and Cumulus logs frequent FTP errors.
geoffp
Weather Station: Oregon Scientific WMR 200
Operating System: Windows 7

Post by geoffp »

Hi Niel, I used to be with 123-Reg and in the end I had nothing but problems with them, my websites were off line more than they were on to me 123-Reg stinks that is why I moved to ukservers.net I get no problems with them at all, the support is excellent, they are based in Chard, Somerset. Jason from WeeleyWeather has also gone with them now, it costs me £20 a year, my wbsite and webcam is uploading 24/7 and I have never had problems :D
Regards,

Geoff

WOW Site No. 147808
6719jason
Weather Station: La-Crosse WS3502

Post by 6719jason »

Just like to echo what Geoff said :D
nking

Post by nking »

geoffp wrote:Hi Niel, I used to be with 123-Reg and in the end I had nothing but problems with them, my websites were off line more than they were on to me 123-Reg stinks that is why I moved to ukservers.net I get no problems with them at all, the support is excellent, they are based in Chard, Somerset. Jason from WeeleyWeather has also gone with them now, it costs me £20 a year, my wbsite and webcam is uploading 24/7 and I have never had problems :D
Hi Geoff,

You have pre-empted my next question to the forum, UKServers sound just the ticket. I was originally with Supanames for 10 years before they were taken over by 123-reg and I must say it's been downhill since then. Dealing with them is like wading through treacle....

Many thanks for the suggestion
geoffp
Weather Station: Oregon Scientific WMR 200

Post by geoffp »

When I had the odd problem when I started off with ukservers it was all sorted out in 5 minutes over the phone, with the support team you are on Christian name terms with them myself and I know Jason just can't fault them. :D

I am not tied up in anyway with ukservers so I am not getting a penny for pushing them, they are just a good company, I have all my domains registered with the registry side of the company "Virtual Names" :D

Take a lokk at both sides of the company :D
Regards,

Geoff

WOW Site No. 147808