Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Rainfall data

Discussion specific to Oregon Scientific weather stations
Vicente

Rainfall data

Post by Vicente »

I am noting that the data of rainfall from my Oregon WMR928, introducing Cumulus do not reflect the decimal, is always 1.0, 3.0. or xx.0
The previous software I used (Virtual Weather Station) data does appear with decimals.
Any solution?
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: Rainfall data

Post by steve »

The WMR928 rain gauge has a resolution of 1 mm, so there's nothing to display after the decimal point.

Steve
gwheelo
Weather Station: WMR-88
Operating System: Windows 8.1

Post by gwheelo »

I am not certain where to post this anomaly - so I am entering it here. I was adjusting the annual rainfall in the Station Configuration screen today. The figure before the change was zero - due to several factors - certainly not rainfall as this station has experienced more than normal so far this year -. A dead motherboard may have entered into the mix. In any case the mother board in the MS Home Server is replaced.

I entered 277.3 - but when I closed the Station Configuration Screen - 228.8 appeared as the displayed Annual Rainfall. Curiously it also produced an "All time hourly rain" of 576.0 mm for today - the date of the edit. I do have a .25 multiplier for rainfall as the rain gauge has a collection area four times the original. I don't see any correlation from the multiplier so I have discounted the relationship.

Is it that I don't understand how the figures should be added or is there a problem. I have attached an image for review.

George Wheelock

WM-968 running as a 928
MS Home Server
Build 927
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

gwheelo wrote:I entered 277.3 - but when I closed the Station Configuration Screen - 228.8 appeared as the displayed Annual Rainfall.
The year to date rainfall doesn't get applied until you restart Cumulus - I've just tried it myself to confirm.
Curiously it also produced an "All time hourly rain" of 576.0 mm for today - the date of the edit. I do have a .25 multiplier for rainfall as the rain gauge has a collection area four times the original. I don't see any correlation from the multiplier so I have discounted the relationship.
I've tried putting a 0.25 multiplier in myself, but I still can't reproduce any of this - but then I don't have a full working Oregon station to try it with. It should make any difference what station type it is, though.

I think you should restart Cumulus to get the YTD figure applied and see where that leaves you. It sounds like your total was somehow reset to zero, but has now reverted to somewhere near the correct value all at once, hence the high hourly figure.

Edit: Something that would be interesting to see would be the sequence of 'total rainfall counter' values from the Mar10log.txt file.
Steve
gwheelo
Weather Station: WMR-88
Operating System: Windows 8.1

Post by gwheelo »

The 277.3 that I entered plus the 228.8 displayed equals the 576 mm for the day. When I returned to the the Station Configuration Screen Annual Rainfall to zero -all data returned to the correct values including correcting the zero for Total Annual Rainfall. Now I really don't understand what happened - but as all values are now correct - I will not dig deeper.

I was under the impression that entering a value in Total Annual Rainfall would simply correct the displayed value - but in my case that was incorrect.

Thanks for the help,

GW