Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V4 release 4.0.1 (build 4023) - 16 May 2024

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Raspberry Pi image on old Pi?

From build 3044 the development baton passed to Mark Crossley. Mark has been responsible for all the Builds since. He has made the code available on GitHub. It is Mark's hope that others will join in this development, but at the very least he welcomes your ideas for future developments (see Cumulus MX Development suggestions).

Moderator: mcrossley

TonyG
Weather Station: Ecowitt 1001 WiFi
Operating System: Raspbian 10 (Buster lite)

Raspberry Pi image on old Pi?

Post by TonyG »

Hi,
I've just followed the really excellent, step by step instructions on the Wiki for using the pre-built raspberry pi image to install MX.
Sadly, although the Pi boots and I can access it through Putty Cumulus doesn't appear to be running.
Could the problem be the low spec of my Pi? Its a Model B rev2. I did have Cumulus running on it a few years ago but software and the OS moves on...
I've attached a screen shot of what comes up when I try and start Cumulus manually.
Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Re: Raspberry Pi image on old Pi?

Post by mcrossley »

It does look like the processor is incompatible with mono.

You could probably fix that, uninstalling mono-complete and installing it again - it will compile some bits against your CPU.
TonyG

Post by TonyG »

Thanks Mark. I have uninstalled Mono and have tried to re-install but the installation just hangs.
Searching around on the net there seems to be something of an issue with newer versions of Mono and ARMv6 Pies (and that includes the Pi Zero). There are no work arounds that I can find. I have no idea how to get an older version of Mono to install. :-(
Maybe it's time to bin the poor old thing.
philpugh
Weather Station: See Signature
Operating System: Debian 12 (RPi5)

Post by philpugh »

If you have built the Rpi image from the repository then you should be able to use sudo apt install mono-complete to install a working version of mono. It will be behind the current version of mono from their website - but it should work.
Phil Pugh
GW1100 + WH65/WH57/WH31;GW1100 + WS68/WH40A (also with HP25xx console); GW2001 WittBoy
CumulusMX V4 / CUtils V7
Raspberry Pi 5 64bit
https://goosegate.uk/
SamiS
Weather Station: Ecowitt HP2551 & GW1100
Operating System: Raspberry Pi OS

Post by SamiS »

TonyG wrote: Mon 31 Jan 2022 8:09 pm Thanks Mark. I have uninstalled Mono and have tried to re-install but the installation just hangs.
How long have you waited? If I remember correctly, at least on pi zero the installation of mono-complete will take several hours.
TonyG

Post by TonyG »

Thanks for the comments. I've tried every which way to get Mono to install on my Pi VerB Rev2. I've tried latest Raspbian release then Mono (as per the commands on the Mono website). That gets to the point where it tells you how much space is needed Y/n. If you type Y return it simply quits to the root prompt, as does a simple return only.
I've tried earlier releases of Raspbian and earlier Mono releases from the official Mono repositories, again as per the methods on the Mono site. That always ends with something like 'line 1of the repository index is corrupt'
The closest to success I've had is using the image from the MX Wiki, deleting Mono from it as per Marks suggestion, and just using 'sudo apt install mono-complete' to install it again. However it's been stuck on 99% for 10 hours now so that looks like a fail too.
So annoying as it did all run quite happily a few years ago. Time for a later Pi!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

Those compiles can take a loooong time on a slow CPU, they are not exactly fast on my i7 laptop! But 10 hours!
dane
Weather Station: Rosenborg 68700
Operating System: Win10 Ult., 64-bit, RaspberryPi

Post by dane »

I have used the instructions in viewtopic.php?f=40&t=17895 successfully on an old Pi.
Note the comment about a special "trick" relative to the Mono installation....
Good luck!
Ib
TonyG

Post by TonyG »

Hurrah! Despite my last post about the Mono install hanging at 99% and giving up I have been successful!! After leaving the Pi overnight and still seeing 99% complete I just pulled the plug on it. On restarting it seemed fine. I ran the 'mono -V' command and it showed that 6.12 had actually been installed. I ran the 'sudo systemctl status cumulusmx' command to see if CMX was running and that got stuck (15 minutes+) creating a log? I again pulled the plug on that and haven't tried the command since. In all other respects it all seems excellent, the Stop, Start and Restart commands work as intended.
I decided to just copy my current windows 10 install and transfer it to the Pi. What could possibly go wrong? Well, nothing! CMX picked up my Ecowitt station, it's even updating my website.
The only difficulty I had with transferring my Windows install to the Pi was wrangling WinSCP to start SFTP as sudo so I could rename the image CMX install to 'old' ( just in case I needed to go back to it.) To save anyone else the time in WinSCP you need to edit - advanced/environment/SFTP/SFTP Server/and enter 'sudo /usr/lib/openssh/sftp-server' If you don't do this you will just get 'permission denied' when trying to rename the folder. (and yes, I worked that out on my own)
So, if anyone else is interested and in summary, to install on a raspberry Pi VerB Rev2;
Use the Wiki image as per the instructions: then remove Mono - 'sudo apt remove --purge --auto-remove mono-runtime' - Reboot and install Mono with 'sudo apt install mono-complete' - be prepared for a long wait, as SamiS said, several hours at least. On mine it hung at 99% but it had actually installed. Actually quite quick and easy once you've done it 20+ times.
Admittedly it runs slowly but it works and I have the satisfaction of using a Pi destined to gather dust in the back of a draw. :)
Last edited by TonyG on Thu 03 Feb 2022 5:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

The bits it compiles at the end of the install are just the developer components from what I remember, so no they should not affect the run-time.

Phew! A marathon but you got there. And a pi 4 is really overkill x10 for running CMX, fine if you want to run lots of other stuff too, but if you have a old pi it seems a shame not to use it.