Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V4 release 4.0.1 (build 4023) - 16 May 2024

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Using Sky-Q with Sky broadband

Talk about anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - PLEASE don't put Cumulus queries in here!
Big Daddy
Weather Station: Ecowitt GW1003 (GW1000)
Operating System: Raspbian 10 (Buster) / Mono 6.12

Using Sky-Q with Sky broadband

Post by Big Daddy »

An issue seen when using Sky-Q and Sky Broadband. May explain if you regularly (daily) see your weather station going "offline" overnight

For several weeks my brother-in-laws Ecowitt system has been losing contact with CMX. I took a look at his MX Diags and could see that every day for the past week it lost contact at 02:45:40, give or take the odd second with the error "DoCommand(CMD_GW1000_LIVEDATA): No response received".
It would randomly come back online anywhere between 06:00 and 09:30.

I noticed that the data was not being transmitted to Ecowitt.net either so narrowed this down to a local networking issue. We set up some logging on his Sky router and saw a similar pattern that the broadband would go down at the same time each day and come back in a time corresponding to what we were seeing in MX Diags.

After digging around on the internet, others had seen similar issues with their networks.

The cause of the issue is having the stanby mode on the Sky-Q box set to "ECO". There is a link to the thread I found here.

https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Broadband/ ... -p/3307268

Since we set standby mode to "none" 2 days ago its been absolutely fine and the system has been awake all night with no data losses.

My brother-in-law now remembers that he set this to ECO a few weeks ago so the Sky-Q box was not fully powered on all night in order to save a few pennies on his electricity. We believe that the random "back on line" relates to when he first switched the Sky-Q on that day. Usually sits with a cup of coffee and watches the news before getting ready for work. Except for the day when it came back at 09:30 which was a Sunday.

Worth remembering if you are a Sky-Q / Sky broadband customer.

Andy
Mapantz
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro2
Operating System: Windows 11 x64

Re: Using Sky-Q with Sky broadband

Post by Mapantz »

Are we talking about people having Sky-Q and Sky broadband together? Or Sky-Q and another broadband provider?
Big Daddy
Weather Station: Ecowitt GW1003 (GW1000)
Operating System: Raspbian 10 (Buster) / Mono 6.12

Re: Using Sky-Q with Sky broadband

Post by Big Daddy »

When you have both, Sky-Q and Sky Broadband. I have Sky-Q and BT Broadband and dont see any issue.

As far as I understand it from the thread in the link i posted, the Sky-Q box is an extension of the Sky router and its this interaction that takes place when the Sky-Q goes "inactive" due to Eco mode.