Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V4 release 4.0.1 (build 4023) - 16 May 2024

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

current conditions

Other discussion about creating web sites for Cumulus that doesn't have a specific subforum

Moderator: daj

bbcar
Weather Station: national geographic
Operating System: Windows 7

current conditions

Post by bbcar »

does anyone know of an easy way to get the current observations such as sunny, cloudy, raining, snowing, etc. and display that on the page
bnwrx
Weather Station: Ambient WS2095 (Fine/Offset)
Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

Re: current conditions

Post by bnwrx »

DIY with build 905
bbcar

Post by bbcar »

where does it tell you the current observations?
bnwrx
Weather Station: Ambient WS2095 (Fine/Offset)
Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

Post by bnwrx »

You enter your observations in the box on the lower right of the Cumulus screen. Then it uploads to your website. Be sure to include the correct webtag on your "indexT" file.
bbcar

Post by bbcar »

I was hoping that it could be done automaticlly with a script or something.
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

bbcar wrote:I was hoping that it could be done automaticlly with a script or something.
The only one of those conditions that you listed which Cumulus could work out automatically from your weather station would be 'raining', and even that wouldn't be very accurate (it's hard to say that it's raining right now with a tipping bucket rain gauge).

So you'd be looking at getting the conditions from somewhere on the web from an 'offical' source somewhere near you. Or was that what you were asking in the first place - where on the web to get the info from?
Steve
bbcar

Post by bbcar »

I was thnking maybe an airport site orsomething like that. The problem I am having is trying to figure out how to get just that single piece of info from a site and have it display on mine.
TNETWeather

Post by TNETWeather »

steve wrote: The only one of those conditions that you listed which Cumulus could work out automatically from your weather station would be 'raining', and even that wouldn't be very accurate (it's hard to say that it's raining right now with a tipping bucket rain gauge).

So you'd be looking at getting the conditions from somewhere on the web from an 'offical' source somewhere near you. Or was that what you were asking in the first place - where on the web to get the info from?
If you are parsing the data on your website, you could figure out if it is raining if there was a tag showing the last tip time and looking at the current rain rate.

If the rain rate is still > 0 then it's raining unless the rain tip is say more than 15min old... or something like that.

Doesn't have to be exact. You should slide the rain based on how high the rain rate is as well.

Looking at the collected realtime.txt files in the log, you could figure out when the last tip time was without the tag though...

You can get other sky conditions from a local Metar which should be good enough that you would override when you see rain at your site. Most won't buy a ceilometer to see if there are clouds or not $$$...

In that we actually got rain this week, I was going to work this out, but a work project squashed that idea... no time. I might play with it some tonight, but without rain falling hard to test it well.
bbcar

Post by bbcar »

I think I might have found something that will work. I will be working on it for a while though. I don't know scripting any kind really. I just started to try to learn JS. Now I have to switch my focus over to php. ;) I Currently have something working, but it's a work in progress.
TNETWeather

Post by TNETWeather »

Be interesting to see what you come up with. You learn best when trying to do something you want based on what you find others have done.

Got diverted this weekend by a client .... ate the whole weekend.