Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V4 release 4.0.1 (build 4023) - 16 May 2024

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Severe weather indications

Talk about the weather
scottjge
Weather Station: WH1081PC
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Severe weather indications

Post by scottjge »

I am setting up alarms on my weather stations to let me know when severe weather is approaching. What are some alarm settings for severe weather alerts ? How much barometric pressure drop in how many minutes indicate severe weather is approaching ? How much of a temperature drop in time indicates severe weather, etc......

Thanks,
Scotty
nking
Weather Station: W-8681
Operating System: Windows 10

Re: Severe weather indications

Post by nking »

I have no idea where you are located; however, suffice it to say that the settings you choose will be based upon your local weather situation, your experience and what you consider to be extreme. You will find some useful information about weather freely available from the Met Office http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/corporate/l ... learn.html , perhaps a good start would be to read “The shipping forecast” pdf. At a simplistic level, air pressure falling rapidly is generally not good.... but I expect you know that :lol:
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

There's also some useful stuff on "my" Weather FAQs site, including a section on Forecasting: http://weatherfaqs.org.uk/node/214

The 'rules of thumb' section says that a fall of 6 to 12 hPa over a 3 hour period indicates an approaching storm.
Steve
scottjge
Weather Station: WH1081PC
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Post by scottjge »

Thanks for the information and pointers. I will go read and and learn.

Many Thanks,
Scotty