Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V4 release 4.1.0 (build 4024) - 05 June 2024

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Please donate.

Discussion and questions about Cumulus weather station software version 1. This section is the main place to get help with Cumulus 1 software developed by Steve Loft that ceased development in November 2014.
Sunfish
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Vue
Operating System: Windows 7 64-bit

Re: Please donate.

Post by Sunfish »

Steve

Why not offer Cumulus (and the support) on a 30 day trial and then charge an annual fee of say, £25?

Regards
bigharps
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro2 +
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64bit

Post by bigharps »

The message worked! If I hadn't noticed it, I'd have gone straight to ask my question without a thought about donating.
As many others have said, it's way too easy to have good intentions... :oops:
To the few questions I've had, your response has always been super fast.
Going to paypal now. :arrow:
guesswhatigotforxmas
Weather Station: N96GY
Operating System: Window XP SP3

Post by guesswhatigotforxmas »

just donated

thanks for all your superb effort steve

Steve
Mace
Weather Station: N96GY
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by Mace »

Hi Steve, a quick bump of the thread and a donation for your excellent software is on its way.
andrew_sinclair
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Plus c/w DFARS
Operating System: Buster rPi

Post by andrew_sinclair »

Hello,

The 'freemium' model works well, as mentioned above, as does the trial and up sell.

Any thoughts about apps for Symbian/iOS/WP/Android etc? I have been playing with iCumulus for iPhone add on with some very useful results. I can imagine the value to a holidaying consumer of a weather related information from a network of stations being selectable from a menu on an app which used APIs to obtain the data.

I agree with the rest of the community Cumulus is a tremendously valuable piece of software and provide a great user experience. The monetization could be done in many ways assuming that the intent is to formally monetize. As a consumer I quite like the current model, well I would say that wouldn't I ;)

Regards

Andrew

PS - I recently asked the company who supplied me my weather station to sell me a new thermo/hygro/Tx unit as my current one has developed a fault. They kindly sent me on in the post FoC, so I donated the cost of that to the Cumulus fund, what comes around goes around :D
Windy: f065d04a
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

andrew_sinclair wrote:Any thoughts about apps for Symbian/iOS/WP/Android etc? I have been playing with iCumulus for iPhone add on with some very useful results.
I leave that sort of thing to others, Cumulus itself takes up all of my time :lol:

There's an android app here - https://cumulus.hosiene.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=4959
The monetization could be done in many ways assuming that the intent is to formally monetize.
I did have a fantasy some time ago that I would get enough donations to allow me to retire early and concentrate on Cumulus full time. Still a fantasy!
Steve
andrew_sinclair
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Plus c/w DFARS
Operating System: Buster rPi

Post by andrew_sinclair »

I did have a fantasy some time ago that I would get enough donations to allow me to retire early and concentrate on Cumulus full time. Still a fantasy!
I have had similar fantasies...then I awake turn on the Today Programme to hear how must extra I must pay and how much less I will get and how I will enjoy a fully cathartic austerity life experience which will enrich my soul :lol:
Windy: f065d04a
Sunfish
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Vue
Operating System: Windows 7 64-bit

Post by Sunfish »

No, I fantasise about birds--more fun, I would say.
;)
rollo
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by rollo »

Steve,
I can't give verbal kudos without backing it with my wallet. It's harder now that I am retired but this is still the best value software I have on my PC. My annual "Support & Maintenance Fee" has just been remitted.

You are getting a lot of well-meaning advice :bash: on how to fund your venture. Mine is simply do it the way you are most comfortable with -- just don't develop any ulcers. I am sure that the users of your software will back your decision. If we don't we will be the losers.
Cheers,

Rollo.
gwmbox
Weather Station: EasyWeather Station Pro
Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimiate 64bit

Post by gwmbox »

Looking back on the opening post in this thread I wonder how different things are now, I mean has the thread resulted in more donations and is it at least now covering your costs?

I'd like to donate more but a pension budget limits that ability, but as soon as we have some few dollars to spare I will be happy to donate once again. Please do not make it a subscription thing, they are rather annoying and can be a burden on those already with limited funds available.

A shareware or 30 day trial is fine and I would be happy to support that, maybe start that for version 2. Just when you have updates ensure those that have already paid only need to pay a smaller fee to update.

Cheers

GW
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

gwmbox wrote:Looking back on the opening post in this thread I wonder how different things are now, I mean has the thread resulted in more donations and is it at least now covering your costs?
Donations have increased significantly since then, and are now just about covering my outgoings; particularly if you take into account the fact that using some of the money I was able to repair my computer when it died, and bought a new coffee machine (which, as any programmer will know, is an essential part of the development process ;) ) both of which I considered fair use of the money.

Overall I would say that I'm satisfied with the level of donations now; thank you very much to everyone that has donated - some of you on more than one occasion.
Steve
Orion
Weather Station: WH1081 (Maplin)
Operating System: windows 10 64bit

Post by Orion »

Ye Steve's inviting us round for coffee
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

Orion wrote:Ye Steve's inviting us round for coffee
You're all very welcome :)
Steve
keith
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro+
Operating System: Windows Server 2008

Post by keith »

Having used the Weatherlink s/w for years on my VantagePro+ station, I have just swapped to Cumulus. I should have swapped years ago... what an excellent little package!

I am happy to have made a donation :D

cheerio,

Keith.
BamfordTradingUK
Weather Station: WMR-928
Operating System: Windows 7

Post by BamfordTradingUK »

Very pleased to have donated - great software and v pleased with the website functionality - thank you! john