Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V4 release 4.0.1 (build 4023) - 16 May 2024

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Max gust speed

Discussion specific to Davis weather stations
Mapantz
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro2
Operating System: Windows 11 x64

Max gust speed

Post by Mapantz »

Hi,

I'm just in the midst of a squall line passing over, and suddenly the wind strengthened! I had my vantage vue console infront of me, and was watching the speeds registering on the console and the cumulus software at the same time. All the gusts match fine, but the high gust gust of the day is always exactly 1mph less on cumulus and also 1 minute behind what the console says. This keeps happening for the high gust of the day.
It is odd, because the data on the console (realtime) is always showing correctly on cumulus.

I apologise if this has been asked before.

Regards.
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: Max gust speed

Post by steve »

Sorry, but I can't give you a definitive answer because I don't know how the console works. Cumulus tries to read every wind speed as fast as the Davis DLL and the console will allow it, and logs the value and the time of the highest value that it receives at the time it is received. The 1 mph difference could be down to rounding and/or unit conversion. The time difference could be down to the difference in the clocks on your console and the PC. Even if you have Cumulus set to synchronise the console clock to the PC, the interface only allows a precision of one minute.
Steve
Mapantz
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro2
Operating System: Windows 11 x64

Post by Mapantz »

Thank you for the quick response. It's no major problem. :)
I edited the records part to put in the high gust for the month/year/all time records, but just wondered if it's possible to edit the daily data?

Regards.
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

You can edit the daily highs/lows etc using the dayfile.txt editor on the Edit menu. If you want to edit today's highs and lows so far, you'll have to stop Cumulus and edit today.ini.
Steve