Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V4 release 4.0.1 (build 4023) - 16 May 2024

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

barometer pression problem

Discussion specific to Oregon Scientific weather stations
rpedroletti
Weather Station: WMR928NX
Operating System: Windows XP

barometer pression problem

Post by rpedroletti »

Hello,

I'm using a WMR928NX at 1250m in France.

I installed cumulus instead of virtual weather station. Yesterday, cumulus was showing the correct pression in barometer (~1000 hPa), but this night, it suddenly raised up to ~1250hPa, but I didn't change anything. In order to check, I relaunched VWS this morning, and it's showing the correct measure. Actually, my station console is showing 999hPa at sea level.
After reading this forum, I understood I had to calibrate cumulus. So I add a ~-250 offset in the calibration window.

My question :
- am I right ?
- what did it work yesterday and not this morning (it started to go wrong near midnight) ?

Thank you for helping.
Richard
adam5
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro2
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Re: barometer pression problem

Post by adam5 »

Hi Richard,

What lead you to believe you needed to "calibrate" cumulus by adding a pressure offset in the calibration window? Normally, the calibration functionality in Cumulus (and various other weather station software packages) is used as a "fudge" factor, when a sensor and/or console cannot be calibrated or sited properly. Think of it as a "last resort" feature to correct bad data.

In your case, as long as you have correctly programmed your site elevation into your weather station console, you should not need a pressure offset programmed into Cumulus. Any adjustments to the pressure should be done at the console itself.

Not sure why it took a day for the pressure offset to take effect.

Hope this helps.

-Brian
rpedroletti

Post by rpedroletti »

Thank you for helping.

I just made this test :
- set barometer calibration offset to 0 and restarted cumulus : barometer shows 1256 hPA instead of 1000hPa
- my wmr 928N console is actually showing 1000hPA at sea level.
- I setup cumulus with my current eleveation to 1250m
- Virtual Weather station is showing the right pressure : 1000hPa.

I remember after installing cumulus that the pressure was correct in cumulus, and suddenly, it started to show weird measures.

Where is the problem ?
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

If you are running a version of Cumulus which has "debug window" on the view menu - open the debug window, let it run for a couple of minutes, then copy the contents of the window here.

If your version of Cumulus does not have the debug window, turn on the debug log, let it run for 5 minutes, then attach the debug.log file here.

Thanks.
Steve
adam5

Post by adam5 »

Hi Richard,

Have to admit, with the pressure offset set to 0, I don't immediately know why there is a difference between your console pressure value and Cumulus. Hopefully Steve will have some insight for you.

But I have to ask, are you certain that you are located at an elevation of 1250 meters above sea level? That's over 4100 feet above mean sea level. You could be...but I'm just checking since that's pretty far up there. Maybe 1250 feet which is 381 meters? Reason I ask, setting you elevation in Cumulus to over 4100 feet might result in a pretty beefy sea level pressure calculation, and account for the differences in the console/software values if the console is set to 1250 feet.

-Brian
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

adam5 wrote:Reason I ask, setting you elevation in Cumulus to over 4100 feet might result in a pretty beefy sea level pressure calculation, and account for the differences in the console/software values if the console is set to 1250 feet.
It's a reasonable suggestion, but Cumulus just reads the pressure and offset from the station and adds them together. The '256' part of the 1256 makes me wonder if the unofficial protocol spec I'm working from has an error and I am using one of the bits in the calculation which I shouldn't (or there is bug in my interpretation of the spec). But it's odd that no-one else with an Oregon Scientific has apparently seen this before.
Steve
rpedroletti

Post by rpedroletti »

adam5 wrote: But I have to ask, are you certain that you are located at an elevation of 1250 meters above sea level? That's over 4100 feet above mean sea level. You could be...but I'm just checking since that's pretty far up there
I live right there http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Les_Molunes, so I confirm my station is at 1250m above sea level.
steve wrote: If you are running a version of Cumulus which has "debug window" on the view menu - open the debug window, let it run for a couple of minutes, then copy the contents of the window here.
Please find as an attachment my debug file.
I run cumulus 1.8.8 build 881
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
adam5

Post by adam5 »

Wow, you are up there. That's a beautiful countryside BTW.

Hopefully Steve can get you fixed up.

-Brian
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

rpedroletti wrote:Please find as an attachment my debug file.
I run cumulus 1.8.8 build 881
There are two types of internal sensor; it looks like the protocol spec I have for your type is incorrect. I'll try to sort it out and get a fix out.
Steve
rpedroletti

Post by rpedroletti »

OK. I'm ready to test it as soon as you released it.
I Thank very much.
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

Steve
rpedroletti

Post by rpedroletti »

it's ok this time. Thank you for this quick fix.

- Can I consider this version as stable, or should I wait for a release ?

Richard
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

It's up to you, but it will probably be quite some time (weeks or months) before 1.8.9 becomes the "official" release. Many people use the beta versions all the time without problem.
Steve