Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V4 release 4.0.1 (build 4023) - 16 May 2024

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Placing a webcam and other peoples' privacy

Hardware/software/hints and tips/discussion/webcam links etc
Hillbilly
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus
Operating System: Vista Home Premium SP2

Placing a webcam and other peoples' privacy

Post by Hillbilly »

Interested to know if anyone has had to consider where they place a webcam because other people may become visible on it? I have seen mention that they are used to monitor building works, dog sitters etc. Do you tell people they will be watched? Does anyone's webcam overlook neighbour's gardens?

We are very conscious here that as we rent out holiday accommodation on site, we need to be careful about using a webcam. We've actually wanted one for years, mainly when we were in the UK more and wanted to be able to look at the place in France. We were put off by the thought of invading others' privacy. I haven't studied French laws realting to this but have been told by a freind that even though she was having her turkeys stolen one by one from her smallholding (and she knows who took them) she can't put up a webcam to monitor any more she may buy. France certainly doesn't use cameras like the UK does.

I was in two minds about showing a webcam on our website. The day to day view we would want is across our courtyard to try and view the bird feeders too, but this would show guests too and I felt they would be put off by seeing webcam pics of other people. So we have decided to show our preferred view for us but move it when we have guests to show more of the horizon/sky....and I'm also coming to conclusion that webcam won't be good enough to show us the birds anyway unless we spend a lot more. :(
Many thanks
Helen

La Locherie Weather
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: Placing a webcam and other peoples' privacy

Post by steve »

Hillbilly wrote:Interested to know if anyone has had to consider where they place a webcam because other people may become visible on it? I have seen mention that they are used to monitor building works, dog sitters etc. Do you tell people they will be watched? Does anyone's webcam overlook neighbour's gardens?
When I got my first webcam, I lived here: http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/w ... nlockhead/ and in fact my house wan't very far from where the first picture on that page was taken, and my webcam view was very similar to that picture.

One day, a policeman knocked at the door. There had been a complaint from someone across the valley that their car was in view on my webcam, and therefore a prospective burglar would know whether they were in or out. The policeman was very nice about it, and pointed out that actually I wasn't breaking any laws, but he had called round anyway because of the complaint. I agreed that I would point the webcam such that no-one's house or car was in view. I also put a note on my webcam page asking anyone who had any issues with it to please talk to me rather than calling in the police!

So: yes, you need to be careful!
Steve
Hillbilly

Post by Hillbilly »

Very interesting. Looks like a beautiful place btw. I thought I'd put a note on our web page saying that the webcam is moved when people are resident, to view the horizon or some elegant words to that effect, so people won't be put off.
Many thanks
Helen

La Locherie Weather
daj
Weather Station: WH1081
Operating System: Pi & MX

Post by daj »

Here in the UK, CCTV systems (of which a webcam can be categorised) is governed by the Data Protection Act 1998, however this only applies to Businesses and does not cover personal/domestic use. Running a guest house would fall into the category of Business and you will have other obligations under this legislation in data handling.

Although there is nothing in UK law to prevent an individual using a web cam to record a public area, you start to encroach on the Human Rights Acts if, for example, you are clearly pointing into someone's property. Article 8 of The European Convention of Human Rights gives everyone the right to the respect of his/her private and family life, and home. Passive capturing of someone wandering past would not be an issue, although you would be expected to take reasonable steps to protect peoples privacy. Often a small notice will suffice.

Again, here in the UK, anyone is free to take a picture from a Public place. There are some restrictions under Anti-Terrorism laws, and also some restrictions when capturing children under the age of 16, but if they are in a Public place and there is no indecent activity then there are no real restrictions.

I appreciate I am only discussing this from a UK point of view, however you will certainly be governed by the European Convention of Human Rights.
David
kippfordweather.uk
Cumulus MX & Raspberry Pi
hills
Weather Station: Fine Offset WH1091
Operating System: Raspbian Buster

Post by hills »

I don't know what the laws are here in Oz, but luckily we can't see any of our neighbours houses from our front yard due to trees and bushes. When I move it to its final location on the roof it will be aimed above the neighbours houses so even if the trees are cut down you won't be able to see their houses.

You can definitely see a lot of houses in the adelaide skyline webcam ("skyline" on my webpage), which is owned by the dept of transport and made publicly available, so I assume they would have had to satisfy any local laws on this subject.
RCE
Weather Station: WH1080
Operating System: Vista

Post by RCE »

One of my favourite places, and my favourite webcams.

http://www.shetland.org/60NTV/

The view of the city centre shows pretty well what people are up to, watched Up Helly Aa http://www.uphellyaa.org/ on the cameras a couple of weeks ago, was brilliant.

As for the holiday accommodation it may actually be a selling point, being able to wave at family at home and show them the fab weather.

Maybe include a description in your advertising/booking material with the option for any guest to request the camera being turned away during their stay.
====
Alan
daj
Weather Station: WH1081
Operating System: Pi & MX

Post by daj »

Good point -- think New York, Time Square camera -- very famous
David
kippfordweather.uk
Cumulus MX & Raspberry Pi
Hillbilly

Post by Hillbilly »

Yes I can see I need to think of this as a selling point. The Shetland webcam is marvellous!
Many thanks
Helen

La Locherie Weather
wswat
Weather Station: Altronics 1081

Post by wswat »

Hi Folks,
Have been reading this topic with interest as my webcam faces on to a footpath and road and some houses over the other side. I use Dorgem webcam (free version) and it allows for a time/date stamp to be positioned on the webcam picture and I have positioned it so it blanks out the houses on the other side. And of course the image at night is all custard with no light for the colour camera.
Cheers,
Darcy
http://dcurrey.site.net.au/web/wc.htm
chrisdunn
Weather Station: WH3080 Solar
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Post by chrisdunn »

I have just got my station back up and running and decided to set up a web cam. I did mention to the neighbours and after they had a look asked me not to show their garden. I also noticed it showed a neighbours children's paddling pool. it now points at the skyline and does not show any gardens or roads. After all it is supposed to be a weather cam!

http://www.midsomernorton.bravehost.com/gauges.htm
serowe
Weather Station: WM918
Operating System: Win Server 2008 R2

Post by serowe »

Just read this one with interest and noted Phil's comment about Oz laws. My camera's (I have 3 surrounding the house) aren't currently available on the web although I want to make one of them available; but the one facing down our driveway can see the 2 houses opposite us.

Interestingly, both occupants are quite happy with the cam as it is recording all the time (we live in a court btw) and it has been used twice now because of 'suspicious persons' in the court.

But the most interesting was a visit/talk with local police about 18 months ago - we were talking about an issue with a drig addict who lived in the court and some of his behaviour had been picked up by this camera. When the police were told of this, they firstly asked for a copy of the vision (provided) but then asked if I had any problems with them recording the fact I have the cameras for future reference. Since then they have asked for particular vision twice - the one time it helped arrest someone who was - wait for this - going around houses stealing their water meters!!! (Not the water, the meter!)

I guess it always come down to relationships with those around you. And I just hope we never get like the UK here (no offence intended btw) otherwise we won;t be able to sneeze in case we infect someone 100 miles away wit4h a cold :D
Punctuation is the difference between 'Let's eat, grandma' and 'Let's eat grandma'
tjaliwalpa
Weather Station: Davis VP2
Operating System: Linux Lite Ubuntu 16.04

Post by tjaliwalpa »

serowe wrote:But the most interesting was a visit/talk with local police about 18 months ago - we were talking about an issue with a drig addict who lived in the court and some of his behaviour had been picked up by this camera. When the police were told of this, they firstly asked for a copy of the vision (provided) but then asked if I had any problems with them recording the fact I have the cameras for future reference. Since then they have asked for particular vision twice - the one time it helped arrest someone who was - wait for this - going around houses stealing their water meters!!! (Not the water, the meter!)
Interesting :shock:

I am aware that to place cameras for the purpose of catching someone out and not informing those who use or work in the area can be seen (in Oz anyway) as entrapment and therefore not used as evidence to convict. I am aware of this having happened, where using the camera was designed to see who it was that was ....... It all came down to informing the public of the presence of the camera and the intent of using the camera. Apparently if a notice was displayed informing of the presence of the camera, then the recording could have been used as evidence.

Bob
Bob
serowe
Weather Station: WM918
Operating System: Win Server 2008 R2

Post by serowe »

I have stickers on front and rear windows immediately adjacent to the main entrance doors stating that the premises are under constant video surveillance - in fact the cameras are in plain view under the eaves, so they aren't 'hidden'. The machine connected to them (they use a dedicated PC that does nothing else) IS concealed and very well protected both physically and electronically, so short of the house being completely destroyed, it is safe and should survive.
Punctuation is the difference between 'Let's eat, grandma' and 'Let's eat grandma'
hills
Weather Station: Fine Offset WH1091
Operating System: Raspbian Buster

Post by hills »

I have set up a second camera over my front door that uses Yawcam's motion detection to take an image and automatically upload it to the internet, although to a place that only I have access to, if there is any movement. I have also put stickers on my front door and side door stating there is video surveillance in place. Works a treat and only cost the price of an additional webcam and USB extension cable. ;)
robynfali
Weather Station: Vantage Vue
Operating System: Windows XP

Post by robynfali »

To the people here who have camera's outside (under eaves etc), are you using a specific outdoor camera, or just waterproofing an indoor one.

Second point, the USB extension cables, what sort of length's of cables are you using?