Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V4 release 4.0.1 (build 4023) - 16 May 2024

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Spurious rainfall readings

Discussion and questions about Cumulus weather station software version 1. This section is the main place to get help with Cumulus 1 software developed by Steve Loft that ceased development in November 2014.
Albert Dulfer
Weather Station: Ecowitt GW2000C-redanweather.com
Operating System: Windows 11 Pro

Spurious rainfall readings

Post by Albert Dulfer »

I am running Windows 7 Professional. When I restart Cumulus for any reason (restart computer or the program itself) I get a spurious rainfall reading. I have tried completely removing Cumulus and all is OK until I restart, then the problem recurs. Attached is the Diags folder (zipped)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: Spurious rainfall readings

Post by steve »

This is odd:

2010-02-10 09:18:53 : Writing todayfile, LastUpdateTime = 10/2/2010 9:00:00 AM raindaystart = 0
2010-02-10 09:19:03 : Writing todayfile, LastUpdateTime = 10/2/2010 9:00:00 AM raindaystart = 0
2010-02-10 09:20:00 : Writing todayfile, LastUpdateTime = 2/10/2010 9:20:00 AM raindaystart = 0
2010-02-10 09:20:33 : Writing todayfile, LastUpdateTime = 2/10/2010 9:20:00 AM raindaystart = 0
2010-02-10 09:22:13 : Writing todayfile, LastUpdateTime = 2/10/2010 9:20:00 AM raindaystart = 0

Your date format apparently keeps changing. I think this means that Cumulus keeps starting again with the rain counter because it thinks the today.ini file isn't for a recent date. This is suspicious because someone else recently had the same problem and I think they are also using Windows 7. This suggests to me that maybe there is a bug in the date formatting routines in Windows 7 - unless you can think of a reason why your system date format might be switching between those two formats at that time?
Steve
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

It seems that this is a bug in Windows 7 which manifests itself in Delphi applications - the 'shortdateformat' can sometime be US format even if the system setting is not. I'll investigate possible work arounds...
Steve
Albert Dulfer

Post by Albert Dulfer »

No, can't think of any reason this might be happening, but I forgot to mention that I had noticed this happening.
Albert Dulfer

Post by Albert Dulfer »

I conversing with someone more knowledgable than myself, the suggestion was made that it was more likely the Delphi application, but I hope you can still point me in the right direction for a solution. Thanks
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

I've found a work around for this, which I'll be making available shortly.
Steve
Albert Dulfer

Post by Albert Dulfer »

Thanks for your efforts, Steve. I look forward to the workaround.
Albert Dulfer

Post by Albert Dulfer »

Steve, I'm sure you are a busy man with all the comments you have to deal with.

Just curious as to how I will know when this workaround is available.
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

It was in build 913, which I uploaded on Feb 14th. https://cumulus.hosiene.co.uk/viewtopic.p ... 8&start=23

Edit: You seem to have edited your post while I was replying to it, and now you're asking a different question. Or maybe I just misread it. I announce all new builds in the announcements section of the forum; I have to assume that everyone reads that. I thought that when you saw "Attempt to work around Windows 7 date format problem" that you would realise that this was the work around for your problem. I'm sorry if it wasn't obvious.

Let me know how you get on with it; I found the work around on the web, I can't claim to understand how it's supposed to work, but it is claimed that it does!
Steve
Albert Dulfer

Post by Albert Dulfer »

Thanks Steve. I was not aware of the manner of updating through builds. I'm a bit of a greenhorn.

I have downloaded and updated, and my site can now be added to the list of those you show. Do you want to re-apply from the beginning - if so - that's not a problem.
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

Albert Dulfer wrote:I have downloaded and updated, and my site can now be added to the list of those you show.
I've put you back on the map from the details you submitted originally.
Steve