Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V4 release 4.0.1 (build 4023) - 16 May 2024

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Starting Virtual VP and Cumulus when Windows starts

Discussion specific to Davis weather stations
ajcm
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus
Operating System: W7 Home Premium 64bits

Starting Virtual VP and Cumulus when Windows starts

Post by ajcm »

Hello at all:

I have a checked in bios recovery pc when the electric current to start the pc again, then I scheduled the task scheduler windows 7 to run the following programs (at start of session):

1 º) Virtual VP: it starts well.

2 º) Cumulus: fails, perhaps I or do I have this great idea, is that the program needs cumulus start first the file "explorer.exe".

3 º) Virtual Weather Station: Starts well.

4 º) Weatherlink: does not start, says it is due to a bug in a file that should WeatherLink reinstall the program.

I would like if anyone has any idea about it or better use a separate task scheduler of windows7.

Thanks.
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: Startup problems

Post by steve »

I think the problem is that Virtual VP isn't ready to accept connections straight away. You need something to delay the start of Cumulus until it's ready. I think some people use 'Startwatch' for this.
Steve
gemini06720
Weather Station: No weather station
Operating System: No operating system

Re: Startup problems

Post by gemini06720 »

steve wrote:...I think some people use 'Startwatch' for this.
Indeed, none of the programs mentioned (Virtual VP, Cumulus, Virtual Weather Station, and Weatherlink) should be started before Windows has completely started all its functions/utilities - technically, none of those programs have been designed to load automatically at the start of a computer!

As Steve mentioned , SoftWx StartWatch can and should be used to at least delay the startup of all of those programs. StartWatch has an option to monitor a port number, such as one of the ports on Virtual VP, and start one or more programs only when that port becomes available.

A word of warning about using the 'unsociable' Weatherlink software with the other software - because of some compatibility problems, Weatherlink will 'crash' (completely stop) the operation of Virtual VP thus preventing Cumulus and Virtual Weather Station from getting their weather data from Virtual VP!
ajcm
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus
Operating System: W7 Home Premium 64bits

Re: Starting Virtual VP and Cumulus when Windows starts

Post by ajcm »

Hello again:

That's just what I need, plus I had also noticed that sometimes the TCP/IP that cumulus use from the virtual VP also closing and when I reopening the cumulus no connect and ought to restart the pc but I have seen that the Starwatch has an option to restart the pc if the ports fail.

Thanks at all.
duke

Post by duke »

but I have seen that the Starwatch has an option to restart the pc if the ports fail
That is not usually succesful. It usually manages the restart but never reconnects.

Duke
gemini06720

Post by gemini06720 »

ajcm wrote:...I have seen that the Starwatch has an option to restart the pc if the ports fail.
As indicated in the previous message, in almost all situations, when Virtual VP encounters problems with (what appears as) Weatherlink 'monopolising' (freezing) all communications (awaiting acknowledgments that never come), then the other software connected to Virtual VP will be prevented from obtaining their data.

The only way to solve the communication problem is to first shut down (exit) all the weather software and then to shut down (exit) Virtual VP - as indicated by Duke, rebooting the computer usually does not solve the communication problem.

One easy way to prevent the communication problem from 'appearing' is to NOT use the 'unfriendly-designed' Weatherlink software... :evil:
duke

Post by duke »

One easy way to prevent the communication problem from 'appearing' is to NOT use the 'unfriendly-designed' Weatherlink software...
+1

I stop Cumulus every so often just to update WL incase there is ever a change from Davis or an update to VVP. Both unlikely but it does no harm.

Duke
gemini06720

Post by gemini06720 »

Duke, the last update of the WeatherLink software was on March 17, 2011 - nothing since.

The last update for the Virtual Weather Station software (although a beta version) was on October 19, 2011.
duke

Post by duke »

Sorry, I meant I stop Cumulus to let WL download the logger to keep the records up to date.

Who knows, Davis might sort out Wl one day.

Duke