Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V4 release 4.0.1 (build 4023) - 16 May 2024

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

SteelSeries Radar Plot

Discussion of Mark Crossley's HTML5/Javascript gauges

Moderator: mcrossley

mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

SteelSeries Radar Plot

Post by mcrossley »

George Wheelock prompted me into looking into integrating a radar plot into the SteelSeries gauges, which he has now implemented on his web page http://www.wheelocknet.net/cumulus/gauges.html?gb

Whilst I do not think that this fits with the core SteelSeries library, I have come up with a way of integrating an RGraph radar plot (http://www.rgraph.net/) with a SteelSeries frame, background, and foreground.

You can see a very simple demo page here (and in the attached zip - it will run from your local file system):
http://www.wilmslowastro.com/steelserie ... radar.html

Over to you to develop and integrate into your pages if you want it - no support from me! :roll: - more famous last words!

Hint, Cumulus has a <#WindRoseData> web tag.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
duke

Re: SteelSeries Radar Plot

Post by duke »

Does any one (more clever than me) have this working?

Duke
gemini06720
Weather Station: No weather station
Operating System: No operating system

Post by gemini06720 »

Duke, I have 'it' working ... or at least, I thought I had 'it' working... :roll:

Just compared my online SteelSeries gauges page (which includes the wind rose/radar gauge) with the Cumulus main screen wind rose gauge and both show the same thing: 'nothing'!

For the last 10-12 hours, the weather has been somewhat gloomy, cool (4.1°C), heavy fog, persistent drizzle with some rain breaks and no wind...

Oh, I guess you would like to have a look at that page... :mrgreen: ...just send an eMail message to the address in my signature and I will provide you with the direct link.
gwheelo
Weather Station: WMR-88
Operating System: Windows 8.1

Post by gwheelo »

Working - but ...

Here is the Radar code integrated with other SS gauges. Unfortunately it is running on static data as my station is completely down. I am unable to test the JSON code for the same reason.

In CheckRtResp() I have changed the following code to accomodate the static data:
if (now-g_sampleDate < g_stationOfflineTimeout * 60 * 1000) { // ******************** changed operator from > to <

http://www.wheelocknet.net/cumulus/radar.htm

George Wheelock
Mapantz
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro2
Operating System: Windows 11 x64

Post by Mapantz »

gwheelo wrote:Working - but ...

Here is the Radar code integrated with other SS gauges. Unfortunately it is running on static data as my station is completely down. I am unable to test the JSON code for the same reason.

In CheckRtResp() I have changed the following code to accomodate the static data:
if (now-g_sampleDate < g_stationOfflineTimeout * 60 * 1000) { // ******************** changed operator from > to <

http://www.wheelocknet.net/cumulus/radar.htm

George Wheelock
If you hover over wind speed dial, it brings up the barometric pressure graph. :?
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

Someone asked if you could add compass points to this. Of course you can! I've updated the demo and here is the new zip :)
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

I've updated this again, the code is restructured so it is almost a cut'n'paste job into the gauges-ss solution. I've also added some code to fix the mismatch between the radar component and the WindRoseData array (they are rotated 90 degrees with respect to each other). The new zip file is in the first post.
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

Errata: Whilst painting the bedroom I had a thought about the data rotation - it isn't needed, and if it was I was rotating in the wrong direction anyway!

So comment out line 88, and you should be good
data.WindRoseData.rotate(data.WindRoseData.length/4);

Edit: I've updated the zip to 3a :oops:
gemini06720

Post by gemini06720 »

Mark, adding the code from the latest releases of the radar packages to the gauges script seems to 'break' something in the code - the problem seems to be located within the 'doWindRose' part of the code (although I am not sure where)!

I did now work on the code at all on Saturday - took the day off the SteelSeries and worked updating my Synology Diskstation NAS.

But Friday, after gradually adding the code from the radar 'gauges.js' script into the master 'gauges.js' script, I first noticed that the counter stopped; then, I finally got the wind rose gauge to display but the center portion of the gauge remained empty - I was unable to get any data to display at all.

If I run the radar 'gauges.js' script by itself (with the 'radar.html' script), the wind rose will display.

I have even converted the 'radar.html' to the PHP format, added some code to read and extract the data from my 'cumuluswebtags.php' script and to produce a variable called 'g_WindRoseData', such as:

Code: Select all

require_once("cumuluswebtags.php");
echo "<script>var g_WindRoseData = [];</script>;
echo "<script>var g_WindRoseData = [".$WindRoseData."];</script>;
The above code produces this:

<script>var g_WindRoseData = [0.0,0.0,0.0,19.2,67.2,0.0,22.4,8.0,33.6,32.0,0.0,0.0,0.0,0.0,0.0,0.0];</script>
Then, in the radar 'gauges.js' script, I replace this line:

data.WindRoseData = [5194.7,3408.6,2777.5,2820.4,3085.0,1455.6,514.1,316.0,145.2,145.2,301.4,668.3,1278.1,1994.8,3266.9,3663.6];
with this line:

data.WindRoseData = g_WindRoseData;
and I have a similar display to the wind rose produced by Cumulus.

So, by itself, the radar code is working properly - but when the radar gauge script is added to the code of the master 'gauges.js' script, something gets 'broken' somewhere.

Note: I am using version 0.11.1 of the 'steelseries.js' script.
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

Ray a link to test page would be helpful so I can take a look.
gemini06720

Post by gemini06720 »

Mark, unfortunately, the files are on my development server and not accessible from the Internet... :(

I am trying to keep my online server cleaner than my development server - thus, only fully operational files/scripts are (and will be) on my online server.

I could supply you with the 'gauges.js' script I was working on...
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

I have just uploaded version 4. This version removes the need for the hidden <div> in the HTML page by creating it dynamically and adding to the DOM. Everything else remains the same.
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

Finally we have a working example of a dynamic wind rose gauge on a web site! All the lessons learned are now in radar5.
tobyspond
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro2
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by tobyspond »

Mark,

I have the radar plot up and running! One question, I attempted to add the logo image but have not had any success. Can you point me in the right direction?

Thanks,

Kerry
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

Kerry, because it isn't really a steelseries 'gauge' - it just looks like one - it does not support the method to add background images.

You will have to manually add the image to the background in the init() code. I'm off to bed now, but I'll look at the script tomorrow, it will only need one or two lines of code adding (famous last words!)